Sign in to follow this  
anivad

Question -rehoming Jardines?

I have several Jardines ,two in particular ,I worry about, they are hand reared sisters that where weaned and placed in an suspended aviary.

When I got them I put them in a shed flight 6' x'3', with an outdoor area of 9' x 8'.

This is quite a lot bigger than they have been used too, they are healthy and seemed settled. however they love people being with them and when I work in the aviary one in particular will reach to grab my clothes.

When I feed or talk to them they always rush across to me and screech when I leave, one talks, though usually when alone.,

They are cheeky and entertaining and I would love to put them in a massive indoor flight and have them tamer but cannot......

Should I release them to 'pet'owners who can entertain and interact with them or should I persist with them as aviary birds, will the two girls always remain compatible or will maturity bring its own problems,

I can now spend less time than ever with them, when I bought them I thought they where 'aviary' birds ....the previous owner did not even know they could talk...I love them to bits...but!!

I am not sure where the answer lies....what do you guys think?

This is a really difficult one. I recently re-homed two aviary caiques a mother and her son. I put them into an aviary with indoor and outdoor space. I found everytime I went in the Mum was landing on me and giving me kisses and was getting quite distressed when I left, she was originally handreared whereas her son had always lived in an aviary.

It was a dilema and I wasn't sure what to do for the best as I wanted them both to be happy (son has never been parted from mum) In the end I thought I'd try bringing them in with my pet birds. My pet ones have a converted conservatory with a large outdoor aviary attatched.

I am so glad I tried it as Mum now gets all the attention she so desperates wants and son who is much shyer just watches close by.

It is always difficult knowing with each individual bird (who has lived both inside and outside) if they will be happier indoors or out and the only way of knowing for sure is to give them the option.

Is there anyway you can offer a small amount of time each day to spend with them inside the aviary to see if they start developing more to the human contact side of things? Sorry I haven't been of much help.

.... will the two girls always remain compatible or will maturity bring its own problems?

I have two female lorikeets who were bought from a garden centre so we don't know anything about them except we suspect they were young and more than likely sisters.

They have remained a beautifully bonded pair, preening each other and staying side by side all day. The only time they separate is when they sleep in different corners of their night box.

(They are at least 7 years old now.)

We have a rescued ex-pet BH Caique that was plucked bald on his chest. He was always seeking attention. Slowly we introduced him to a female. They now live together, preen and feed each other and he no longer plucks. He does come to the wire to get attention if we appear but otherwise seems to interact "normally" with the female.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments. There is no chance of ;taming; them as hubby wont have house birds and I feel someone is missing out on two little crackers, and maybe they too are missing out,

I may have to rehome them very shortly due to circumstances and am undecided which market to aim at , I really think a pet home with an aviary, rather than an aviary totally for breeding.......

Guest Jane Doe

I think they would need to be sold together if it comes to you selling them, it's not fair to split them up. I bought two siblings partly for that reason, it would have been awful to split them up.

Oh yes indeed I would be looking to let them go together , but finding the right person who wants to pay for 2,

I would have to re-coup my costs (purchase price) or hubby would go spare,

I always seem to lose on any birds I sell, I think the location is just too remote to encourage interested parties, even though I myself have travelled hundreds of miles for birds!!!