Sign in to follow this  
student1

Afternoon!!

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie! I've rescued a male Eclectus and have joined up to get some advice and make sure I'm doing the right things to make him happy!! He's been living in a house where they smoked very heavily and he had an overgrown beak and claws. We've had him for about a month, he's been to the vets and been checked out, had his beak trimmed and had a diet change!

He's just really starting to ask for attention, obviously beginning to trust us!

I'm a little worried that he's a feather plucker, He's got a few bald patches, but I originally put this down to him not being able to groom himself properly. I hope to eventually get him a girlfriend, I've always loved Eclectus!

Student1

x

Hi, thanks for the welcome! My birdies name is Diesel, I wanted to change it, but couldn't think of anything and now its stuck!! He's 4 yrs old, very quiet little character, I think we're learning as much about him as he is about us!!

x

Posted Image to the Parroty Place, Student1. Loads to share, learn and enjoy Posted Image

Posted Image

You'll notice many of us have a photobucket link under our posts - Below is an easy how-to on setting pics and/or vids up to share with us all:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=26851.0

Here's our section of Information Topics:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a brilliant site about Ekkies:

http://www.landofvos.com/eclectus.html

They are great birds, mines a right little character and is into everything!!!

He talks loads but only when he hears water running or the hoover is on. He loves to take the mickey out of me :roll:

Oh and he loves his showers :D

I like the name Diesel.

Would love to see some piccies :D

i like the name diesel, not often you hear of a bird being called diesel. i've had a couple of rescues come to me, some of them i change the name, some i keep, i think it's just a matter of choice.

Thank you elle, he looks a bit tatty at the moment, I think he's forgotten how to look after his feathers! he spends ages grooming but they always look the same!!

He has a bath nearly every day so hopefully they will improve, he'll never get a lady if he doesn't tidy himself up!! lol

Lol - the regular showers do help their feathers. Pharrells feathers look gorgeous after they've dried out after a shower..................and then he gets food all over them!!! lol :roll:

Im sure Diesel's feathers will grow back soon. Do you actually see him pluck or do you think he plucked before you got him and has now stopped?

I've not actually seen him pluck, and I've only found what looks like normal dropped feathers on the floor, one tail feather and one flight feather, which I think he bashed out when he fell off his cage!

Today I found a couple of what looked like "snipped" feathers so I will keep an eye on him, I have a theory that his beak was SO overgrown it was rubbing on his feathers around his cheeks and under his chin and thats what caused the bald patches. The vet seemed to go along with this so I'm 70% confident they'll grow back. I'm of the understanding it could take a few months though?

im sure if he has been checked by a good avian vet and passed fit and generally healthy a good diet and smoke free enviroment will do him the world of good,i love the pics of all of your pets btw,the colouration on his beak is a indicator that he is in breeding condition so he must be a sexually mature age,it will be nice to get to know you and diesel on the boards,and it will be nice to be able to keep up with his progress,anyway,i hope you get to learn lots that will help you and diesel on the road to recovery.welcome :wink:

Hi vikky, Thanls for the welcome! thats interesting about his beak!

Does anyone have anytips about introducing new stuff to a bird, I'm trying to give him more fruit in his diet, previously he was on mostly seed, I'm cooking up brown rice, adding allsorts of fruit and veg, and sprinkling a little seed on top. He just chucking out all the fruit, he's living on peas, orange and seed atm!! I've been abd got him some willow branches this morning and now he's saying hello to them but not showing any other interest!! Am I being too impatient!!

Time is certainly the key .... as an example, I gave my Amazon (Jo-Jo) a palm nut every day for months before she eventually sampled one instead of throwing out of the feed bowl. Now she adores them.

There are some threads here about introducing new foods and many suggestions of what you can try your bird with ...

MANY, MANY FEEDING TOPICS:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=17832.0

= from the INFORMATION section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Hi there,

Just thought I'd pop in and say "hello"

I'm sure with time Diesel will grow back his feathers and accept change where his diet is concerned... As MMM says, its all about time :wink:

Try him with some papaya - i cut it into slices - they love the seeds inside, also fresh figs - i cut it in half. They also love the seeds from melon - canteloupe is the better one for them. Peppers - they love them especially the hot ones!!! lol

Physalis are also a favourite with mine as he has to get through the leaves to get to the fruit.

I keep my veg and fruit in seperate bowls.

Also i sprinkle a broken up half a digestive biscuit on top of his food.

I also have one of those kabob thingys which i put stuff on for mine aswell.

A treat for him is almonds - i give a couple a day as treats.

Hello and welcome. The only advice i can offer is that you give Diesel alot of fruit and veg daily and put BSP drops(vitamins) on his fruit. A very good varied rich seed mix and also Lori Nectar, or Nectar Nuggets that Zupreem do. He also will need alot of time out the cage as Eccies really get frustrated if caged for long periods. They also love music, so when you discover his favourite tunes play music to him for an hour a day. Try singing to him aswell as they are fascinated by sounds coming out of our mouths. If you have any particular questions just go ahead and ask.

He does look abit shabby, but will get into condition if you feed him correctly. Do make sure he has suitable perches like concrete ones, so his beak and claws can stay right and he does need a rather large cage.