Sign in to follow this  
bertie's_mum

Alternatives to Calcivet

I've done a search and read as many posts as I can regarding Calcivet and alternatives but what I'm really wanting to know is first hand information about what the alternatives are like so I can decide whether to make the switch.

For example, are they liquid or powder? If liquid then is there something which is less "sticky" than calcivet? Are they given in the same way as Calcivet ie on food or in water?

I'm not confident that Bertie is getting any at all at the moment due to the fact that he can tell a mile off if there is Calcivet on his fruit or veg and just will not eat it at all.

Any tips?

Thanks

Allie and Bertie

we use zol-cald and add it to their water............weve had many posts on this subject,im sure mmm will dig them out for you,

calcivet did seem to be the one most used,and their are many ways you can disguise its use..........but if he really is that clever at sniffing it out,perhaps you could try adding it to the water

I use Calciform - liquid supplement but not sticky or heavy. I add it to their water.

http://www.aviform.co.uk/Store/Cage-$4-Aviary-Bird-Products/Conditioners

I see you have searched calcivet already :) but here's a group of threads that may interest you and others.

"CALCIVET - HOW DO YOU USE YOURS?":

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/4573-no-subject/

We use Calcivet but dribbled over his pomegranite which he loves, and other fruit chopped up quite small. The calcivet is sweet and seems to disappear against the sweetness of the fruit so he doesn't notice it all.

We've tried putting it in his water and although he doesn't mind it, he drinks so little and puts so much rubbish in that we have to change it sometimes 2 or 3 times a day anyway, so not convinced he ever gets any calcivet inside him that way.

I must be lucky, gonzo takes his calcivet easily off a spoon. I would maybe try what P-and-s suggests if you can't find an alternative as it is very sweet. (me and the kids have all had a taste) lol.

Thanks guys. I am going to try putting it on fruit as thinking about it, it usually goes on veg. He will take the veg into his mouth but he spits it out. I'm sure he must get some of it in the process but it's a bit hit and miss! Yes, it is really sweet - found that out when he'd had some then gave me a kiss and he had it on his beak - yuck! Not as bad as a chilli pepper kiss though hehe.

Definitely no use putting it in his water. He turns it to pea soup several times a day as it is. His favourite use for pellets is using them to turn his water a nice shade of red, yellow or green! He certainly doesn't eat them. lol.

It's so nice to have somewhere to ask all these things. Thanks again.

Allie and Bertie x

i have started mixing it with a little bit of natural yogurt on a spoon Charlie loves this and i know that he is getting his calcivet, he only has a little bit about once a week or fortnight

I use Zolcal-D as the D stands for Vitamin D and without vitamin D which is obtained naturally from daylight any form of Calcium you offer your bird will not be obsorbed into the body without direct daylight(not through a window), or accompanied with Vitamin D. If Calcivet contains vitamin D then fine, but make sure whatever form you use does also contain th vitamin D. Also what do you all use as a multivitamin?? I use BSP drops which has good quantities of all the vitamins, and high in vitamin A and i put it over the fruit(its liquid) and everyone eats it up.

luckily we dont have the need to use added multivitamins.............were confident that our birds diets are good and varied enough to not need them........we do give palm nuts daily,powdered harrisons pellets sprinkled on their fruit with a little egg food a couple of times a week..............zolcal-D twice a week and feather up when moulting,other than that,if you can get your birds to eat vitamins in their natural state(ie food) i would think it much better to leave out the artificial supplement,

if you dont have a bird that will eat the right kinds of fruit and veg, its a different matter,we used vetark vitamins(the same company that makes zolcal).........but once we had managed to get all of our birds on what we consider a healthy enough diet,we stopped using them.............research the kind of diet that your particular bird species should be eating and give a good quality seed