Sign in to follow this  
leigh73

feelings on deposits

Guest showgirl

I've never sold baby birds, but we will be asking for a deposit on Kali's pups once they are born..i think a deposit shows a willingness on the buyer's part to commit to the seller..i think a deposit has to be a reasonable about though..at least 10% otherwise the buyer could just walk away.

when looking for my baby grey, i expected to pay a deposit. i paid £50 (and i still have the receipt). also when i bought my baby rabbit from a breeder i took cash the first time i visited because if there was a bunny i liked, i expected to pay a deposit, and i did.

Guest showgirl

I just think that paying a deposit/asking for a deposit is the only way to 'bond' a the buyer to you..in saying that..i know from friends they have had people pay a deposit and then not come back..but the chances of this are less if they have given you something towards the asking price.

and from the buyers point of view, you know that whatever you paid the deposit on is yours. it's much more unlikely that it'll be promised to someone else. if that made sense.

Thanks

we have never asked for a deposit before but have also been caught the other way when people just vanish i have a six month old Meyers that was supposed to have an home to go to but then as soon as he was weaned i never heard from them again!! and this little grey has so much to offer !

I was going to ask for say £50

ask for whatever you want.a decent buyer will have no problem with this?after all if you have chose them as suitable for one of your babies they will eventaully be giving you alot more....any buyer imo who flintches when you ask for a deposit shouldnt even be considered for a baby....just my opinion btw!we were the same when we started out but you soon toughen up to things........we turn people away who have driven for 2 hours without a second thought we will give them money to cover there expenses.They are your babies you do as you see fit.if people dont like it tough :wink:

£50 seems perfectly reasonable, that's how much i paid for my grey. i think most buyers expect to pay a deposit, i'm pretty sure it's the same when you're buying a pedigree pup. i'm sure most adverts say 'deposit secures' or something like that. i gree with vikky, if someone winces at having to leave a £50 deposit then they aren't suitable.

Thanks guys i appreciate your help i feel rather bad for thinking of asking , aren't i silly! when we went to see one of our puppies we had to pay 1/2 for here there and then

Guest showgirl

I personally would ask for £100..people are less likely to walk away if they have paid £100.

Don't feel bad for asking hun, its security for you and the buyer... I'm sure I paid £175 deposit :shock: but I didn't mind cos it meant Mylo was mine and was also security to the breeder that I'll be paying up the rest....

most people will offer you a deposit without any need to ask them for one.

but it does sometimes make you wonder if you take a deposit off them and they change their mind they feel obliged to come back for the bird even though they may have realised they have taken on too much and darent tell you??

Guest Gwydhyel

I agree too. I would expect to pay a deposit, maybe 25% or even 50% depending on the price. It protects both sides.

I usually ask for a 50% deposit. Noone has ever questioned it and both myselfand the buyer are secure and i have never had anyone change their minds. Mind you if the buyer doesn't have the 50% available at that stage then i will accept less.

I found when i took a £50 or even £100 deposit people would still change their mind, but this way itssomething they think long and hard over and the decision is final.

There are fors and againsts with regards to deposits on pets. Obviously, giving a deposit shows commitment, but against this is that once a seller accepts the deposit, the buyer has more clout with regard for the pet and may go through the scenario of wanting to take the young bird/dog/cat before it is really ready to go. The fact that you already have accepted a deposit makes it more difficult to explain to the buyer to "hang on another week or so, your baby is not ready yet. Especially if the buyer just turns up out of the blue with the rest of the money and asks for his/her pet.

I, personaly, would rather not take a deposit as the animal/bird in question is then still mine and I can change my mind about the prospective buyer if my instincts tell me to.

A deposit sceures the bird will be sold to them whilst you have there money...you can at anytime decide for one reason or another that they are no longer getting the bird and return there money.....when taking deposits give a written signed dated reciept with states deposits are not refundable if they decide to pull out...this way you are covered in all possible senarios

I agree with the non-refundable for buyers changing their minds, but have a 'reserve the right' clause in case YOU change your mind about selling to them, and refund the deposit. Most people expect to pay deposits, I know I would if I was going to be buying a bird!

we always ask for £50 deposit , and say if they are not happy with the bird when its ready for collection we will give them their money back , ( never been asked for the money yet) never had any complaints about asking for a deposit people are only to willing to give a deposit to secure the bird they have chosen

thanks every one i just hate asking for it (what a wally i know) yur replies have been great and its all been taken on board

thank you

P.S eric excellent nestbox cams thanks

The fact that a person has given a deposit gives them no rights on when the bird will be ready to go. Infact the bird belongs to the breeder until the rest of the money is paid and as Vikky explines if for any reason the breeder feels that person is not suitable they can refund the deposit.