Sign in to follow this  
stephie

pickles seems to be wheezing quite a bit tonight.....

should i be worried? vikky said that she wheezed when she was stressed which is fair enough but there's nothing that would've stressed her out tonight.

she's acting normally just wheezing. she's sat on her swing, we've half covered her cage.

Just my opinion, but no bird should be wheezing, stressed or not. Is she being quarantined and has she been vet checked ? Dont want to sound alarmist but these are the things that need to be done. She definitely needs to see a vet, regardless of whether Vicky knows about the wheezing problem.

Hope she is OK, keep us updated

she's seen a vet when vikky had her.

vikky i'm sorry you can't ge tme on the phone, my rabbit has erm kinda chewed it. my mobile is next to me if you want to ring that.

paulie...................

One unique feature of all pionus is a wheezing hissing sound they sometimes make when they are frightened. Your first response might be to assume they are sick, as it sounds similar to an asthma attack. However, if you back off the sound should stop. They can also make a variation of this sound when being petted. Usually in this case it is a much softer sound, closer to hissing.

i agree if stephie is concerned pickles should see a vet

can you pm your mobile n0 please :oops:

It's not that long since we rushed our grey to the on call vet, because of difficulty in breathing - wheezing we could hear across the room. It's a scary thing to see and hear.

It could be one of a lot of things, making Pickles wheeze, none of them would be normal(?).

Is it getting worse, staying the same, improving?

vikky you have a pm, sorry i thought you already had my number.

paulie, because of where pionus come from, it's not that strange for them to wheeze in certain situations. i've heard her do it before, like when she landed on mogwais cage & we had to get her off (she hasn't been taught how to step up) but tonight there's no reason for it.

what was the reason for your grey's wheezing, cgm?

i've just spoken to vikky on the phone, all the time pickles was breathing heavily but acting normally, preening & bobbing her head at me. she's drinking now.

IM sure it is nothing then if this is a pionus thing sorry for possibly over reacting :) Dont know anything at all about pionus :oops: just thought any bird wheezing could be upper or lower respiratory infection.

Hope all is well with pickles (love the name ) :)

its a hard one with pionus paulie......they like any other bird can get respiratory problems or infections of one sort or another but its difficult for vets to pick up on as they generally start the wheezing thing as soon as the vets in sight which can tend to camouflage the actual ''bad'' sounds you get with genuine illness..im no expert on pionus by any means perhaps david when hes about may add some input........a trip to the vets if nothing else can help to put your mind at rest if its nothing but if hshe does have an underlying problem hopefully the vet will catch this too

pionus can be easily stressed, but each bird is an individual, with pickles being a rescue bird and being moved he/she is still settleing in, pionus are prone to resperitory problems but the wheezing sounds normal to me, as allways if in any doubt seek profesional advise from an avian vet...................... ( just to cover myself ) 8-[

thanks alan. that's put my mind at rest. she's definately not gasping for breath and there's no discharge from her nose. (she's preening again now). i spent about 20 mins on the phone to vikky & all that time pickles was breathing heavily but also preened & bobbed her head like she normally does. she's also been grinding her beak like they all do when it's nearly bed time.

maybe i am just worrying over nothing. now i'm looking at her & looking at every little thing she does & thinking to myself. is that normal behaviour for her. (she's just bobbed her head). i think what worried us most was that she was breathing so heavily it wa smaking her tail move & i'm sure she's never done that before.

so i am just worrying, that's good. it's just that she seems to have settled so well in such a short space of time & tonight seemed so not like her. like i said earlier the only time she's ever really been stressed was because she flew on the top of mogwai's cage & it was difficult to get her off because she's never been taught how to step up.

Steph, youve had the bird over a week and you've already said that her breathing and tail bobbing is not normal behaviour, if you have any doubts I would still seek veterinary advice.

i remember that now, must've been so frightening for you at the time. my pickles doesn't sound as bad you grey sounded. just had a peek at her & she's perched on one foot, so she can't be feeling that bad then can she? poorly birds don't perch on one foot do they?

from wingedwisdom.com

Pionus parrots also share a unique stress response. When frightened, these birds will wheeze. It sounds as if the bird is having an asthma attack. Although it may be distressing to hear, the wheezing sound will end once the offending object or person backs away