Sign in to follow this  
evie71

mental health

Ok I will start at the beginning, (usually a good place) I have had a deposit on a 7 year old cag for the last couple weeks (the owner is kind enough to keep him for me until my funds come through) I will be in a position to pick him up hopefully beginning of next week. The only thing thats worrying me now is that last week he either flew into the cooker, or the polecat got hold of him and his eye has been damaged. His owner said he was checked my vet who said its ok and doesnt even need cleaned???? now when she called last night she said that the eye may have to be removed. I am not at all worried about this as he is a lovely bird and i love him whatever, the only thing i am worried about is, if he does get his eye removed, and with the move, will it all be too stressful for him???? I really dont want him getting too stressed or depressed because of it all. any advice gratefully recieved and sorry about the long post.

I am sorry to hear your new birdy has had an accident.

If you are going to take him on while he is recovering, I can only suggest you get in touch with the Vet dealing with him and explain, get as much support and direct advice as you can from the Vet him/herself

Guest parrotlady

The POLECAT got hold of him??? I'd get him out of there as fast as you can and get him to your own vet. I'd have thought that your house, without a polecat, would seem a lot safer to him than the one he's in now. If he does show any nervousness when you get him home, cover half or three quarters of his cage with a sheet or something, so he can hide if he wants to. Unless the eye is damaged, which would have been apparent right from the start, there should be nothing that a bit of antibiotic can't cure. Good luck!

Thanks MMM and parrotlady, I have had to wait on my divorce settlement coming through before i could take him away, I hate having to leave him there as he is also left in the kitchen which isnt good for him. The polecat has gone now thankfully. I am not sure if she actually took him to a vet in the first place as surely he would know at that time if the eye was damaged and at least cleaned it up. I will be speaking to his owner over the weekend and arrange to go to the vet with them as i want to make sure he does go and gets the proper treatment, (just in case she says oh he has been and its fine) poor wee thing. I will have a cover ready for his cage, (He comes with cage which is gross,rusty and dirty, i have a new one here for him but dont think should disrupt him too much)

well to be brutally honest if a polecat has had him i wouldnt buy it, we all know cats have nasty bacteria in there mouths so what does a polecat have? will the seller reimburse you at all if the bird dies from its injuries after you have taken him home? who pays for the vets bills for the ongoing treatment after you have taken him home? i may sound brutal and cruel but at the end of the day after you have taken it home and IF it dies, the seller could turn round and say "it was ok when it left me" leaving you with no bird and several hundred pounds out of pocket.

Guest Jane Doe

I think that the bird would have died by now if he had got infected with saliva from the polecat, it can kill as soon as 24 hours later without antibiotic treatment. If you think you might incur vet bills you could renegociate the price. I agree withthe others, the sooner the bird is away from the situation the better. You'd be wise to get him insured though as he hasn't been cared for properly.

Guest parrotlady

.............. I'd have him straight out of the cage you describe!

Couldn't agree more!!! We've acquired some birds in cages so bad that they've barely come in the house!!! Whip the bird out, cage outside, jump on said cage so no-one else can put a bird in it, then down the tip!! :D

.............. I'd have him straight out of the cage you describe!

Couldn't agree more!!! We've acquired some birds in cages so bad that they've barely come in the house!!! Whip the bird out, cage outside, jump on said cage so no-one else can put a bird in it, then down the tip!! :D

Thats the way to do it :wink: 8):lol:

:lol::lol: straight to the tip on the way home, lucky its only 5 mins away from me! I will give her a call tonight and insist we both take him to the vet and at least i know one way or the other and get a full check up too. She isnt really in a position to refuse as she might find it difficult then to sell him on. you have all been a fantastic help as per usual. thank you!!! xx

well to be brutally honest if a polecat has had him i wouldnt buy it, we all know cats have nasty bacteria in there mouths so what does a polecat have? will the seller reimburse you at all if the bird dies from its injuries after you have taken him home? who pays for the vets bills for the ongoing treatment after you have taken him home? i may sound brutal and cruel but at the end of the day after you have taken it home and IF it dies, the seller could turn round and say "it was ok when it left me" leaving you with no bird and several hundred pounds out of pocket.

In general terms I could agree with you but on this occasion the bird needs some TLC, sometimes when a person makes a committment it's binding as in the case here with evie71. I'm sure she knows in her heart what is the right thing to do and that is take the bird, love it and trash that blasted dirty cage!

Well done you evie71 for having a great big heart and not letting a bird in need suffer more than it ever ought to have in the first place.

aww thanks, brough a tear to my eye that did! it really breaks my heart everytime i go to see him and have to walk away, but he will be here by end of next week at the latest. I will get insurance sorted and give him the best life i can. Just got to think positive now im sure everything will turn out good, as my great grandmother said, whats for you wont go past you. :wink:

I suppose it depends what the Polecat has been eating:)

My Dad`s Polecats do not eat fresh dead meat or wild caught animals but sacks of pellet food and tinned cat food ect. I have seen Pole cats in shops eating fresh sheeps heads and some ppl take them hunting for rabbits ect.

When Feline Cats get birds the bird can die even weeks afterwards depending on what bacteria was on the teeth and the birds auto immune system response I don`t know about Polecats but I would think it could be similar.

I think you need to go to the Vets with the owner/breeder and discuss your concerns and maybe if no antibiotics have been actually given you can get some to make sure.

I would get the vet make a diagnosis about the eye and future problems the bird may have and I would think their should be a price negociation between you and the owner.

I am not being mean or anything but you need to know about future bills as Vet bills are expensive.

I think it`s fantastic that u are still getting the bird. Accidents with other animals do happen. I have often thought I would like one of those Vegetarian Vultures to Scare all the cats (including my own) that congregate near my Avairy but I suppose at least I won`t get mice settling in :)

I will speak to the owner over the weekend, cant get hold of her today and get an appointment made at the vet. I certaintly wont give up on the bird, he has had a tough life so far including cannabis being blown in his face! (from a previous owner) think i better get good insurance cover lol. As for the price im still happy to pay what was arranged £450 but as long as she pays for the vet fees, I dont see why i should have to when he wasnt in my care and probably could have been better by now if it was done sooner. Anyway i will stop babbling on for now and let you all know what happens when i have an update. x

Good for you for realising that just because she/he has had a nasty accident, it still leaves the same bird underneath. So many people in that situation would have said I dont want a bird with a bad eye, and that's just sad. They want a perfect bird, and most of us here know that those that may look a little tatty or a little damaged have the most love to give.

Please let us know, I cant wait for you to get her home and safe. :D

Im not an expert on these things, but if we took him for a full check up at the vet, would these things not show up? maybe can lie dormant though i havent got a scooby doo. Dont even know how to word this post properly so hope you understand me :shock:

Your vet (if its a qualified avian vet) will uncover anything after you have had a chance to explain the history.

Im glad this bird is getting a better future. I hate to think of him being left there to suffer.

Look at it as your bit to "animal rescue" :)

Well done :)

People criticising cannot know the love and relationship that you have already built up.

Just tell the vet everything or even have a chat when the owner is gone if you want a private chat ect. I can`t see any lasting effects really as long as the treatment is sort now rather then later.

good luck and post photos when you have your Bird:)

I will do gary and thank you all for your help I will see how it goes and my ex has told me tonight that the money will be there at the beginning of the week so that's cheered me up loads as we can all get settled then. Big chat with the vet is whats required so wont worry about it too much till then. thanks again and i will no doubt put a big hip hip hooray post up soon lol. (along with piccys) x