Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jane Doe

Parrots magazine

Guest Jane Doe

Just wondering how many people on here buy parrots magazine or subscribe to it? I ask because it rarely gets mentioned on here. I'v been reading it from virtually the time it came about, used to be called just parrots and parakeets back then and was only published every 2 months.

I didn't have the internet back then so it was even more important as that was pretty much my source of information on birds. I still enjoy reading it and find the info useful, there's been some good articles by Neil Forbes the last few months and regular holloistic articles as well.

I bought it from the first copy like you and used to devour it for information as soon as it arrived. A good magazine, can't fault it :)

I gave up getting it about 2 years ago once I found this place and put the annual subscription fee in my ParroTeapot emergency fund instead now.

I bought it before the internet. I probably would buy it more regularly if it were available locally, but it has to be ordered. Last copy I managed to get was at Gatwick airport!

I find I do get enough info through here and other places on the net, but I would deffo pick a copy up if I saw one.

Guest Jane Doe

I was wondering if less people were taking it up now with the internet. Shame if that's the case as it is a good read,you get the up to date info as well as I find it so annyoing when using a search engine that so many articles are years old and things have moved on. I think it's the only English parrot magazine around now since birdkeeper folded, I guess the market wasn't big enought to support two bird/parrot magazines.

If you subscribe they post it to you. You can do it for 6 months or a year, it works out that you only pay for 11 magazines rather than 12.

This is their website

http://www.parrotmag.com/

And subscribe to the demise of bird keeping NO THANK YOU -------I wonder how long it will be before the ANTI`s start abusing the new AWB and declare that keeping cage birds is illegal as it is unnatural behaviour for them to live in cages :?: :?: :?:

Guest Jane Doe

True but you have to be a member of the society to get the magazine.

I haven't read anything anti birdkeepingstuff in it, it's pro good birdkeeping, the AWB has hardly had a mention. I'v got to ask, if you don't read the magazine how do you know it's content? :?

I like the magazine and don't feel the articles are antibirdkeeping in anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Stormbird. :)

we have it every month jane :) we go half half with a friend so when he has finnished with it we get to read (and keep it) lol

i have never read anything anti birdkeeping in it either.. its all for good birdkeeping!

i fully enjoy the magazine and its well worth the read.. far better than the internet anytime :)

I didn`t say they were anti bird keeping ! I beleive there is some good articles in it it`s the backdoor subscriptions to the ANTI`s I was refering to !!!!

At least PSUK is fighting for our right to keep birds and is one of the few bird keeping societies in the UK to do so !!!

I find the Parrot magazine is an absolutely excellent magazine.

Full of interesting in depth articles which you will not be able to find in the Parrot Society magazine or on the internet.

I especially find it good on conservation topics and information on rare species of parrots.

I can't really see how a magazine which depends exclusively on parrot keepers and breeders as it's source of income can be said to be supporting the Anti's. Absolute nonsense.

I find Parrot Magazine interesting, informative and sometimes straight to the point with the articles, can be very thought provoking. A good magazine to recommend to anyone new to parrot keeping.

As I said earlier I believe "Parrot magazine " does have some interesting articles BUT I will not buy it on principle because I do not wish to support the ANTI`s !!! -------- the threat to parrot/ bird keeping is getting stronger especially as we have a Government who receives funding from the ANTI`s

The ANTI`s do not recognise good bird keepers and bad bird keepers ----- they just recognise bird keepers and a pastime that they demand should be abolished along with the keeping of all other pets !!!!!

I don't understand what this discussion about ANTIs. Could someone explain to me? In what way does the magazine oppose bird keeping or support people who are against bird-keeping? Seems a bit odd since if bird-keeping were abolished the magazine would have no clientele.

I don't think that I've missed a copy since spring 2001, I think it's a fantastic read.

Wasn't aware that Birdkeeper had folded, when did this happen? I just thought that it was getting harder to find.

The ANTI `s don`t think like that the money is irrelevant to the cause ! Perhaps I should explain it in a different way ------- Bryan Forbes one of the top avian vets in the UK is a founder member of Birds First --- a BUISNESS dedicated to the abolishment of the keeping of birds !!! he is an excellent avian vet BUT his ethics leave a lot to be desired given that he takes money from bird keepers yet lends his name to those campaigning against those who would ban the keeping of ALL birds !

What a lot of people don`t understand is the difference between Animal Welfare Organisations ( many of whom struggle for cash) , and Animal Rights Businesses who are political campaigners making vast amounts of money but actually contributing very little or nothing to the causes for which they campaign !

Guest Jane Doe

I haven't heard of Bryan Forbes, is he related to Neil Forbes or is that a coincidence?

Bryan Forbes is an actor, isnt he :?: I think he was married to Nanette Newman :o' Dont know where that information came from' something at the back of my mind tells me that he was :roll: :roll: