Sign in to follow this  
Guest gothbob

New blue fronted amazon

Guest gothbob

We went to collect the Amazon that we have adopted on saturday :D he had been found as a stray and no one wanted him!

He has a weird toe it goes more upwards than its supposed to and his nose is odd one side too :?

He decided rather than going straight into his new cage he would rather escape and fly around the room, how much of a draught do these guys make! :shock: i thought the grey was bad engough (not complaining just observing)

He came out on saturday evening and sat on our nanday conure Nanday's cage the whole evening so she was not so pleased

We dont know if he is tame or not as he doesnt bother about people that much, he will eat and dink with you watching him and investigate toys but he just doesnt seem to be confident with anything more than that.

Could this be to do with the fact that he was a stray and also the people that found him didnt really know what to do with him? Or is this more the sort of thing that an aviary bird would do?

Also any name suggestions would be gratefully appreciated as he (he has a leg ring and i read the left/right thread) still has no name and its difficult to name him without knowing his full personality.

It sounds as though the toe may have been broken and reset itself oddly or it may have been that way all his life.

Do you mean one nostril is bigger than the other? I have seen Amazons like that after a nasal/sinus infection they must have had some time before.

Has he had a Vet check-up to make sure he hasn't caught worms or other nasties while out in the wild? You aren't quarantining him then until you can be sure or has it all been done before he came to you?

Please, please, be careful allowing him on other birds' cages - it is so easy for a toe to be bitten off by a bird protecting their territory/cage.

As to his history, as you say it is early days. The poor bird has had quite a time ... getting lost, refound, moved again and now to you. It really is a case of time, love and patience to see his character come out but I would guess he has been an indoor bird if he eats with you around and knows toys etc ... an aviary bird would usually be much less confident around new humans.

As for names ....

NAMES YOU COULD CALL YOUR BIRD:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=9806.0

I think your gonna have to wait for as MMM says the 3 week settling in period. he's very new so still adjusting, I've no idea about aviary behaviour so someone should be along soon to inform you on that.

If he's a stray how about Hobo? ;)

Fantastic thought on the name there jabb3r.. Sounds like a good one!!!

As for the ammy, as MMM said give him time to settle in, my OW has been kinda lucky, as far as we are aware we are her second owners, but... She wasn't well looked after and stuck in one of them awful round cages that she couldn't move in.. She isn't tame, wont come to you for fuss, she will take food from your hand and give the occasional kiss (if you are brave enough to stick fleshy bits near her!!)...

So give him time and alot of love.. If he never tames down will it really be a problem? He has a loving home with people that care. At the end of the day that is what matters to him.

Good luck :)

Guest gothbob

I will see if i can get a photo of his nose it looks like part of the side is missing, his nose hole is more oval shaped than round.

When we got him he had already been taken to the vets and been quarantined (they had him for about a month incase anyone claimed him).

We are VERY cerfull about birds on others cages, as when fred was a baby he escaped from his cage (he figured out how to detach a full water pot!) and landed on our grey when we were out. So he now has one leg with feeling but no movemet, but he can still get up quite a speed when chasing bare feet.

We are VERY cerfull about birds on others cages, as when fred was a baby he escaped from his cage (he figured out how to detach a full water pot!) and landed on our grey when we were out. So he now has one leg with feeling but no movemet, but he can still get up quite a speed when chasing bare feet.

I have a LSC Cockatoo that could put Billy Whizz to shame when he's after a good bite of a tasty foot.

I am sure this bird will turn around, all he needs is time and love not forgetting his own space when he wants/needs it.

I also have to agree the name Hobo is very fitting.

Guest gothbob

What is it about feet? Nice to know he isnt the only one with a foot fetish! Our others arent bothered about bare feet but we have sock obsessed tiels.

So long as he is happy then we are happy, we dont have any "perfect birds" really as all of them (tame ones anyway) we have ended up with second hand or they have problems so he should fit in very well.

Guest gothbob

He has been named George by the other half, no idea why but he just has.

He is getting more confident around us now and will nibble his perch to peices in front of us now.

Do amazons usualy chew up toys and perches this much?

It doesnt bother us it is just nice to know if its normal or not as our other birds dont chew at all really. Thier toys are in a used but still there state rather than Georges in a pile of wood shavings on the floor!

Glad all is going well :)

Some do .... out of my 2 Festive Amazons - Jo-Jo hardly ever chews but Fezz is a feathered chainsaw.

Perhaps have a read of this topic for some ideas on cheap/free chewy toys? ...

HOMEMADE TOYS + TIPS (Very Blue Peter!) = add your own?:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=11932.0

Guest gothbob

Thanks for the info.

He is settling in pretty well, he is now very used to people and you can go very close to him without him stopping what he is doing. But he has now decided that he wont come out of his cage, we open the door and leave him to exit at his own pace but recently he hasnt come out at all. Any ideas?

Good to hear an update = thanks.

He may well be in a phase where he feels so comfy and secure in his cage that he doesn't feel the need to explore outside.

Keep offering him the chance and he will come out when he wants to.

Sounds like he is settling in just fine.

Just reminded me though of when Max my greenwing was a baby - he ran along the lounge floor faster than Michael Schumaker to get to the mother in laws feet, got a good beakful and Miller our CAG immediately laughed! :lol:

Needless to say, neither of them were on the "favourite grandkids" list after that episode - although I sniggered a little myself when I got home :twisted:

Rachel

Guest gothbob

He seems fairly happy and content

the other day we bought him a rope perch that he has been destroying for two days (rather than standing on) and this morning i actualy had to put my hand in the cage to remove the red end of the perch he was nibbling so i was very impressed that he had the confidence not to just drop it as soon as i approached

Hmm anyone got any spare tree branches?

Guest gothbob

we dont have any parks or woods near us, i think i will have to go and see if any of the trees in my parents gardens need pruning

Guest gothbob

Just thought i would let you guys know i think george said "hello" last night. It was definatley hello but i wasnt sure which birds but im assuming it was him as three birds were in the lounge at the time. Sam TAG usaly likes to talk to people and havent heard him say hello like that before ever and nanday just screeches.