Sign in to follow this  
PamelaCampbell22

RE:(Some help re biting)

Hi

We got Cassie from a horrible pet shop where she was being kept in the basement with no stimulation lights out at 5.30. We have had her now for 4 weeks she has started to bite me quite bad in the last few days yesterday everytime I walked by her she was lunging at me. She used to step up and come on to my hand for me to put her in her cage but now she is biting me when she in on my hand. She has had a bad wing clip and had plucked all her feathers out of her chest which are now growing in but she does not like being handled at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Guest parrotlady

I'd say it's a compliment in a way - when you first got her she was stressed and frightened from her experiences, but she is now gaining confidence enough to challenge you! If you give her time and patience she will learn to trust you. I have found that a lot of untame birds will accept your face close to them (through bars if you want to keep your fleshy bits!) before they will accept hands - hands are scary things to a small creature, if you put yourself in their place. I have an elderly, ex-breeding timneh hen who is lovely, and will let me kiss her back and her beak, but she shies away from my hands. When Cassie is a bit more settled, try slowly going up to the cage, kissing the bars, then saying 'Wow, there's a GOOD girl!' You'll feel like an idiot, but if it gets results it's worth it!!

Thanks for that. Yesterday she lunged at my face and bit my lip (own fault I was too close to her) I am walking about with a cut on my face and bite marks over my hands people must be thinking what is going on.

However, just to see her feathers growing back is an achievement in it's self I will persevere.

Awww bless her, glad to hear that progress albeit slow is being made. I am sure that with alot more time and love she will come round..

Good luck with her :)

I agree with Parrotlady that this is a backward compliment .... the bird now has enough will to live to feel capable of defending herself from a 'stranger' rather than placidly accepting anything done to her.

As she sees it you are just the latest of the humans who have given her a bad life and it will take time and patience from you to prove to her that YOU are different from the rest and will be safe for her to befriend.

Maybe have a read of? ...

GENTLING .... GETTING A BIRD USED TO YOU:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/10512-gentling-getting-a-bird-used-to-you%c2%a9/

and

BASIC BITING INFO + LINKS:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6744-basic-biting-info-links%c2%a9/

and

TRYING TO ALTER A BIRD'S BEHAVIOUR? a note of hope:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/7094-trying-to-alter-a-birds-behaviour-a-note-of-hope%c2%a9/