Sign in to follow this  
Oscar07

Palm nut oil

Hi all,

Does anybody know where I can buy palm nut oil? I've been trying to get Oscar to eat palm nuts without any luck. He used to fling the dried chili from his seed bowl until I gave him an extreme chili dorito, which he loved, now he'll happily eat the chilies so thought I'd try the same trick with the oil!

Hi Stormbird & Gary,

Thanks for your replies, I did look in my local tesco last week but didn't have any, will check ASDA.

Thanks again!

You should be ok with Asda, thats where we buy ours

I know there is probably a link somewhere, but what are the benefits/needs associated with this? I saw it in Asda the other day and recognised the bottle from seeing it in piccys on the net.

I tried palm nuts with my birds, but they never took to them.

Cheers Stormy. I was a bit dubious about oils anyway after Freddies Vit A deficiency due to too many sunflower seeds and having read infogirls post on that link about them being prone to fatty hearts and livers I can see Im right to be cautious, specially with what is infact an extract (and refined).

All my birds are on fabulous diets now, but to those out there with Amazons who are greedy with seed mixes that contain a lot of sunflower, do beware. We nearly lost Freddie a couple of years back because of this. The oil in the sunflower seeds stops there bodies from absorbing important vitamin A and the decline is so quick.

Sorry, mad moment of paranioa after reading that. It brought back so many memories, and I felt it was worth mentioning to those who have joined recently the importance of less sunflower and more fruit/veg = healthier bird.

I think if I was going to try the palm nuts again, they would be as a rare treat and in small amounts.

I dont mean this post to put people off using palm nuts, but I would be a little cautious of using a refined human cooking oil.

What does everyone think on "Palm Fruit Extract" ? can be seen here: http://www.dietecuk.com/p66536/Palm-Fruit-Extract-500g-Jar.html?image_id=154514

Tried my birds on it but they don't seem too fussed, it smells very strange and melts a 10 times faster than wax.

I did like this part in the description however:

Improves feather colour, especially the reds, orange and yellows.

I can definitely vouch for this as Taz ended up from "white" to bright yellow when he decided it would be more fun to wipe his head on his piece of toast than eat the darn thing!

Be WARNED this stuff stains like buggery, keep away from carpets, painted walls, wallpaper furniture and any bird that's not red,orange and yellow to begin with! 3 showers later poor old Taz still has specs of yellow on his head! :D