Sign in to follow this  
Paulie

Zippys Adventure

First day today that its been warm enough for the birds to spend some quality time in the garden. Zippy had a wonderful time exploring while everybody watched on from the safety of their cages. One advantage of not being able to fly I suppose. Hopefully it wont be long before we have our outside flight built so they can all enjoy some freedom outdoors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Zippy is always at his happiest when out in the sunshine.

He used to be a free flying bird and went everywhere with his original family. Unfortunately family circumstances changed and he was left for long periods on his own. Sadly he plucked his feathers.

He is now doing really well and has lots of new feathers coming through, fingers crossed he can resist chewing them, and one day we can see him fly again.

He is a real character and very headstrong and I dread to think what he would be like if he could fly. lol. It took a stepladder to get him down from the tree today :)

He climbs, jumps, struts everywhere :lol: For a bird who cant fly he is very confident. He chases our other Cockatoo, she can fly but Zippy is never far behind. :roll:

so cool!!! here in US, country folks like us, not too many own parrots. it is recommened to have wings clipped. it does take a good avian vet to do a good humane job. Sonny and Cher can and do make short low flights. there are so many predators that it is considered humane here in states. I wish mine could have free flight. an aviary here is even out of the questions. racoons are so prevailant they tear right through--- just love thinking of folks who can safely let theur birds fly free. :D:D

so cool!!! here in US, country folks like us, not too many own parrots. it is recommened to have wings clipped. it does take a good avian vet to do a good humane job. Sonny and Cher can and do make short low flights. there are so many predators that it is considered humane here in states. I wish mine could have free flight. an aviary here is even out of the questions. racoons are so prevailant they tear right through--- just love thinking of folks who can safely let theur birds fly free. :D:D

I'd be careful there are people on this site who will slam you for having wings clipped, like I got slamed for letting Peter outside (who can't fly)

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/11113-out-side-adventure/

some judge before knowing the facts :cry:

Posted ImagePeters Slave - I consider that last post unnecessary and disproportionate as anyone who reads the thread you linked to will see for themselves ..... you had concerns voiced not "people on this site who will slam you" and am requesting you not continue in this vein.

Everyone here has equal rights to express opinions, concerns, ideas etc and they will not always be in agreement with our own .... that is part of sharing a forum with enthusiasts whatever their chosen passion

mmm,if you have a problem with peterslaves post would you please remove that and your post away from my thread to a more appropriate location for further discussion.

hey I understand why some do and do not have parrots clipped-- to each their own---as long as it is humane and consideration for their safety comes first. I have expressed my own preference before on this forum have not got slammed yet. and it would not matter to me because I know I am doing it for the benefit of my birds and their protective circumstances.

I totally agree Debra, each to thier own.

We would not ever let Zippy outside unsupervized we have cats round us and we all know cats are good climbers just like our Zippy we also have 3 american cocker spaniels who would certainly sort the cats out they are very protective of thier garden.

weather permiting I have Sonny and Cher outside with me while WE sit on deck out back looking across our spacious lawn and woods. they really seem to enjoy it but are still within just a few short feet of my ever watchful eyes. occasionally a hawk will swing by and believe me they understand that call of theirs because they automatically go into defense mode. they start the squawk of "danger" :evil: