Sign in to follow this  
MadMudMob™

My birds could have died ... A WARNING

Sorry I wasn't around much of yesterday .... but ....

daughter visited in the early afternoon and said "Can you smell gas, Muvva?"

Roz sticks her nose by the coal effect type thingy gas fire in the lounge... errr, yep, gas.

Mad dash to get birds into pillow cases and out of the house into a neighbours' (so I can get them transferred into the old travel cages we keep in her garage for just such a quickly-needed happening) while Hubby rings our tame gas-man (a biking buddy) who arrives with a deedley-bob machine a la Star Trek and confirms we have a leak.

I keep a carbon monoxide detector in both the bird room and the lounge, have smoke detectors, fire blankets and an extinguisher but a gas leak was something I had no protection for.

Anyway, Plastic (we call him that as he rides a modern Jap four motorbike covered in pretty plastic fairing) mended the leak so we could thoroughly air the house and then get the birds back in. The lovely 80 year old neighbour was quite disappointed when I went to get the birds back LOL. Can see I'll have to take them in to visit her sometimes :)

I'm one of those people who goes all calm (and bossy :oops: ) in an emergency but, oh boy, did I have a shake afterwards at the thought of how close we might have been to our birds dying.

Guess the moral is ..... be prepared, maybe do as I have and find a close neighbour who will take your birds on short notice for an emergency. Keep pillow cases and travel cages ready.

I'm not alone ... I remember Showgirl having a gas leak too just a couple of months ago so don't think it is just something that happens to other people.

Could've been worse - it could have been a fire when it truly is utterly urgent to move your birds instantly. The topic below was inspired by someone here who had a chimney fire in the room his birds were in.

So, have a read of this, Parroty Peeps, and spare a few moments to make a plan - hope none of you ever need it but so very much better to be prepared for the worst...

HOW TO SAFELY MOVE YOUR BIRDS IN AN EMERGENCY:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=12115.0

Guest Hovis1954

Thankyou for that posting MadMudMob, I will make them tomorrow!¬!!. Have enough bird carriers but never thought of that sort of emergency. Thank God for your daughters sensative nose eh? lol

Wow Roz what a truely awful thing to happen...My nose could be stuck in a room of gas and I'd smell nothing lol. Glad all worked out well and your post is an inspiration to us ALL to be PREPARED

Roz thanks for posting, was good that your daughter could smell the gas and you got all your birdies out safely.

Thankfully I dont have gas, but everyone needs to be prepared no matter what the emergency is.

Jayne xx

what an awful day yesterday for you roz. :(

just shows to go you can never be over prepared.

do we know what caused the gas leak? perhaps birdsy been trying to chew on the pipes or something?

we have all gas fire and central heaing serviced every 6 months because 6 months of the year its stood unused

OMG MMM...

Good job your daughter popped in!!!

Personally I hate gas, I purposely move into homes without it- The effects of it can be devastating!

Glad all is well :wink: