Sign in to follow this  
Peppers

Angel inside cage, devil outside!

I think this is the right area for my question, so here goes...

I've had my gorgeous rosella a week and inside the cage she's a real cutie pie... She seems quite comfortable to eat from my hand both inside and outside the cage, but she still backs away from my hand if I get just that bit too close. This poses my current problem, letting her out is an ordeal that neither of us enjoy. She simply refuses outright to get back into her cage, and when I get close and she backs away or flies off, and it all ends up with me having to catch her in a towel, because after so many hours of this I have had enough. I have tried enticing her with treats, dimming lights and all other suggestions to entice her to fly back in, but to absolutely no avail.

I then thought to myself, well If I have her wings clipped it might make it easier, so I made an appointment with a vet two days ago and had that done. I then let her out that same evening and again, it was a ridiculous charade of her backing away and flying away (as much as she could) around the room yet again. She just wants to do whatever she wants outside her cage, dismissing me totally! I dont really understand this because she's pretty content inside the cage and when I finally get her back in she acts as if nothing happened. I dont want her to think that the chasing/towel thing is something I am enjoying or some sort of game I want her to do (if you know what I mean?)

So, I have come to the conclusion that I shall have to keep her cage- bound until I am able to at least get her stepping onto my hand with ease and comfort. At least then I might stand a chance of getting her back in when I want her to go back in? My worry though is that she may not get enough exercise...?

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

:D

Still very early days if you've had her only a week but, I must say, Rosellas are not the easiest of birds to train to step up on a stick or your hand.

Once out of the cage they really enjoy doing what they are designed for and that is flying.

A shame you had her clipped especially as it hasn't helped.

By all means try teaching her to step up onto you but it would be cruel to keep her in the cage all the time .... flying is what these birds live for which is why they are more common as aviary birds rather than indoor pets.

Have you had a read of these two threads?

HELPING A BIRD LEARN TO STEP-UP ON TO A HAND-HELD STICK:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/9636-helping-birds-learn-to-step-up-onto-a-hand-held-stick/

and

HELPING A BIRD LEARN TO STEP-UP ON HANDS RATHER THAN A STICK:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/8021-helping-birds-learn-to-step-up-on-hand-rather-than-a-stick/

= from the INFORMATION section: https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Thanks MadMudMob, I have indeed read lots of info, and I am very patient and gentle with her, singing and talking to her constantly, and of course I know that it is early days. I am sure eventually she will step onto my hand. She has excelled in just a week with regard to getting used to me, and eating from my fingers, but as you say, she is the kind of bird that loves to be out and exploring. I don't have a problem with that at all, it doesnt even bother me if she comes out and flies around the room for a couple of hours a day, its the going back in that is the problem. I never give her any treats when I let her out, hoping that she might go back in when she's hungry and spots a treat waiting in her cage.. but 12 hours later we realised that wasn't going to work lol.

hiya sounds like you've made good progress with her already. just take things at her speed. i rescued a sennie in december & she was only semi tame but i taught her pretty qickly how to step onto a perch instead of trying to get her on my hand.

like roz says, rosella aren't really indoor birds so they are more diffcult to tame down. but it can be done. good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement Stephie. As Rosella's love to fly it has all been quite upsetting for both me and my bird. Anyhow today I have tried a new method with complete success which might also be helpful to others who have birds that aren't quite tame, yet they still want to allow them some freedom.

I took her food away from her cage about one hour before I let her out. She didnt seem at all bothered by that, but then when I did let her out I sat on the couch to watch TV and let her fly and explore to show her that it was fine for her to do that and I wasn't placing any demands.

About an hour later she flew down from the curtain rail and sat on the TV (probably curious as to why I wasn't chasing her with a stick or towel!) Anyhow whilst she sat on the TV I gently got up and walked over to her cage; re-filled it with fresh food; walked gently over to her and placed the cage gently down a close distance to her then backed away. She then saw the re-filled food bowl and probably realised what I was asking her too.

Within seconds she flew straight inside the cage on her own! Job done! :) No stress! I am really pleased about this. We can both now relax! I shall do this from now on until she is tame enough and used to my hand.