Sign in to follow this  
Jabb3r

Can OW's learn tricks?

I've had a read around and looked for vids, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of OW's doing tricks yet they sposed to be not far down the cleverness chain from greys?

I'm trying to find a break through way with jab see and I was thinking that if I could get him to do a trick or so (for a treat of course)(, it may bridge the gap of trust a lil, but there don't seem to be any info on it.

I have read they can learn to speak mind which is encouraging, but again seen no evidence to confirm it.

What realistically could I expect from my lil guy?

Very much down to the individual bird, as you know, but OWs can be good talkers and do tricks if they choose to learn.

Here's a great book on clicker training specifically for birds ....

"Clicker Training for Birds (Getting Started)" by Melinda Johnson

ISBN 1890948152

and here's a link to it:

http://shrunklink.com/?gqb

Lol MMM I might have bought that already, I'm still tryin to find a suitable treat as he don't like fruit much apart from grapes and apple, no veggies really apart from potateos and parsnip (not exactly healthy I know), likes bread and egg white so deffo got a taste for the unhealthy foods, takin after me really. :D

But if I can find some thing he can quickly munch down and not take an age to eat as that aint gonna work for his training.

Guest choccyb

Just thought I'd share with you, I have an OW 9 months old who I have only had for a month or so and within 6 days of living with us, she learnt to wolf whistle. She was already trying to say hello when we got her but for the last couple of days she has stopped saying it in her usual manner and has taken to copying the way I say hello to her with a raised tone at the end of the word. It is like she is taking the mickey out of me when I say it a bit over the top to try and get her interested. It sounds really funny. Not sure how easy teaching her other words will be but I am really chuffed at how fast she has picked up those couple of things already. Sorry for going on, just thought it might encourage you.

Hi, just to add to the orange-wing thing.........mine is really good at teaching her people tricks! She knows that raising and lowering her wings,rubbing her head against her shoulder and doing an impression of an opera singer(all at the same time) will usually get one of them to give her a shower,which she loves.............picking at her cage door and making odd little chirping noises usually gets them to let her out.......and dive-bombing them when they are mad enough to try and eat in the living-room always gets something out of the fruit-bowl! (She loves to eat when we do). :lol: milipup