Sign in to follow this  
joannanoel

at what age do senegals learn to talk?

hi. i have a baby senegal - approx 16 weeks and i just wondered how old they are when they learn to talk? we have an older rescued senegal who has never talked and am also worried that his presence may stop our baby from talking - has anyone got a second senegal on here that has still learnt to talk? jasmine does get quite excited when i talk to her and she makes little baby noises in response? whats the general opinion of the age senegals learn to talk and if having another bird has an effect on them doing so? x

as said before not all parrots talk

and even if they did all talk, there is no "set" age for tem to start talking

some parrots could say their first word at 30 years old, some at 3 mnts....

sennies make very good talkers ,be patient they normaly start at about six months sometimes sooner .

A female voice is better for them to mimic .

derek

gary - how cute is that clip!!!!!!

derek - thanks for the vote of positivity! of course i will still love jasmine if she never talks but it would be nice if she could learn! will my other senegal limit her do you think? they have separate cages for now and spend some time out together and some time each individually with me.

actually - having said that our other senegal doesn't talk - he has started barking like a dog since we've had him - we have 3 spaniels and he has picked it up from them! it is the first imitation noise he has made in his life bless him! and the first few times he did it - i thought it was a dog in the distance but it is definitely him so maybe there is hope for him too! x

My sennie Charlie is just over a year old. He/she doesnt talk at all. Will whistle and mimic but no chat.. Senegals arent really known for talking tbh.

But as stated not all birds do talk even the ones that are supposed to be the best talkers in the world..

Good luck with yours :wink:

Hi, we've had our sennie BooBoo around 4 years now and she has never uttered a word, the only thing she does is a half a wolf whistle, thats her call for anything she wants.

I wouldn't change her for the world :D

Jayne x

Guest danii&kev

obe my sennies pretty good he does endless sounds and when hes alone i can hear him say allsorts like hello obe and giv is a kiss and what u doin, hes 2 and getting better

I don't know about senegals, but I have two maximillians and the older one (23 months) teaches the baby 9 months) new words to say all the time. I would assume this could happen with different species :?

Little Dani - what a star!!

Joanna, as others have said, none of your senegal's may ever talk. but here is some hope for you!

We got Pip our second senegal in October, and she says about seven or eight words, Not much , you might think, but Coral, our other senegal that we have had for over two years and has only ever said "ray" to call me, has started to copy her!! At the moment we are calling her single white senegal, as wherever Pip is Coral is sure to follow (and copy)!! :D

So you might get a nice surprise with them both when they get older!!

I did once meet a senegal with quite a good and clear, vocabulary, but all in all I don't think they are known for it.

Rachel

hi - thanks everyone. of course - i will still love them if they both never talk - its just that i have 2 friends with senegals and both talk and part of me hopes that mine will. the breeder we got the baby from says her senegal who is approx 9 months old says hello and quacks like a duck but she doesn't know where he got that from!

it just shows - that from all your comments - there are no "rules" regarding parrots! elvis - the older senegal is a rescue bird and the lady we got him from could not get near him because he was so nervous but he was with another senegal who bullied him and i think this was part of the problem. the other bird was top bird and elvis was not getting any attention. he still is a very nervous bird but recently i have seen him starting to play with his toys and he is generally becoming very loving. he is also barking like a dog now (copying ours) so it just goes to show what a few months can do for a birds confidence. he will now let me cuddle him against my chest and he even "coos" at me which just melts my heart! he is such a funny little thing!