Sign in to follow this  
David

Pair3; Mealy Amazon (A.f.virenticeps)

This really is a labour of love! Both birds were offered for sale as A.f.guatemalae, but, typically, neither are! "Monty" the male was a wild-caught juvenile and we have had him nearly 9 years........he has had 2 previous mates. The female is a UK-bred bird but the breeder didn't know what he had bred. These 2 have been together since the autumn of 2006. If, and I say IF, these 2 breed then it may be the first RECORDED breeding in the UK. They are in a relatively small suspended aviary, 2.5 m x 1.5m, and I would usually move them but the female is chewing at the nest hole so I will leave them this year.

Oh dear. This morning I found that one of my other Mealys had laid an egg off the perch ( as she did last year in a different aviary). To make matters worse, both birds were in the box this morning.

She is in the box this afternoon and he has gone ballistic when I went to check. These 2 are a problem as they are a virenticeps male and a guatemalae hen but have been together for years. Because he is so aggressive they have to be kept well away from all other birds.

Re the pair that laid off the perch on May 8th. The female has been sitting on something since the following day. Nest-box inspection is risky as the male will attack me, and the hen if I try. For the past few days food intake has increased and today the male is in the box.

This morning still no sign of either bird and food untouched. Tried to look in box;bedlam. So made a ladder out of strong mesh and inserted it into box through the hole from the outside. It is folded so that it hangs down the outside as well. Male now out of box. I can only assume that they have managed to chew the original ladder inside the box. Female is still sitting so I can only hope that eggs are OK. Aaah the joys of bird-keeping..............

Re the pair that laid off the perch: the female left the box about 7 days ago, after sitting for the regulation period, and the box was completely empty! However they are mating a lot again.

The pair I was supposed to be monitoring: Monty, male, was in the box today.