Sign in to follow this  
Guest showgirl

Smoking ban..

Do you agree with a smoking ban in public places?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with a smoking ban in public places?

• Yes...i dont want to breath in their smoke
    • No..as a smoker i have the right to smoke when/where i want

Guest showgirl

I dont know if this is in force yet in England and Wales, but we have had a smoking ban in all public places since last March..this had implications for smokers obviously but also with the likes of the pub industry..Gordon works for a Brewer and although some pubs have been hit, in general, people have gotten very used to the ban.

I am a non-smoker...i've never smoked..and i used to hate going out for a bar meal and coming home smelling like an old ashtray..its great going out now and not having to have a shower the second you get in the door! I have to say that i strongly object to having to breathe in someone elses' second hand smoke. I dont throw the dregs of my drink over them!

I just wondered how smokers and non-smokers felt about the ban?

Guest danii&kev

i voted in favour of ban,dont see why me and my child have to breathe in poisonus fumes when i try so hard to keep us away from it.

Guest Jane Doe

Looking forward to the ban,I think it comes in July 1st. I don't like it in pubs and restarants, last place I went out to even though we were in a non smoking area the smoke smell was comming through while we were eating. One of the smokers coughing their guts up didn't make it very nice either!

Guest showgirl

It annoys me when the blow their smoke away from their own table over to yours!! Interesting to see a couple have said they have the right to smoke wherever they want..yet havent posted!!

I voted in favour of ban

I remember in school, we had this breathiliser thing, im really not sure what it was for.But I remeber the lady asking if my parents smoked and me saying yeah my dad smoke about a thousand a day lol...then she said, hmm

Really have no idea what that test was for....

Guest showgirl

I have to say that i think its very selfish of parents to smoke in the house when they have children..Gordon's parents were both smokers and even although his sister was affected by the smoke..they never stopped..its one thing to pollute your own insides but another to potentially harm your children...i think its very selfish of parents to inflict that on their kids. Its not like we arent aware of the dangers of passive smoking. :roll:

Hmm, interesting one :wink:

I voted 'Yes' even though I'm a smoker myself. I never smoke inside anyway out of concern for my pets, after all how would I feel if one of them became ill because of MY habit. On the same lines I don't see why non smokers should have to smell cigarettes in restaurants and the like, even I don't like the smell of fags when i'm eating :lol:

Guest showgirl

We have taken in parrots in the past whose feathers stink of smoke..for the first few showers its a browny coloured water that drips off them..disgusting..they dont ask to smoke either!

Guest danii&kev

my nannas brother died of serious lung conditions and when they did the post mortem they wrote on his death certificate he died from smoking....my nanna was furious he didnt ever smoke his wife did!! :evil:

It should be in public places as well I feel strongly about the fact when I`m out shopping and have to stop and rest as some inconciderate smoker plonks them selves down next to me and procede to blow their smoke all over me -- It would not have been the 1st time that with really objectional ones that I`ve turned my head away taken a deep breathe in then turned and blown their smoke right into their faces :twisted: :roll: :roll: and guess what---- they don`t like it :lol::lol:

Guest danii&kev

in my local shopping centre theres 1 tiny cafe you can smoke in the whole building and everytime i pass its full of.........mothers with their tiny babys in prams!!!!! i cough passing the place

Guest showgirl

I hate seeing pregnant women smoking..again i think its incredibly selfish..bad enough to do it in the same house as your kids..but to affect their health before they are even born? :( :x

Guest showgirl

C'mon on the pro-smoking lobby..you vote you have the right to smoke wherever you want but you dont post to back it up?? Come out, come out wherever you are...we can see you hiding behind that cloud of smoke! :wink: :lol::lol::lol:

I agree with the public ban. Im a smoker and smoke in my garden, If I go out to eat I sit in the non-smoking area, but I have bought patches and Im urging myself to give up the nasty habit.

Jayne x

im an ex smoker and they say we are the worst for complaining, but i used to smoke in the same room as non smokers and never gave it a second thought and i believe that is still the case now its just a part of life.

sad but true. But on the other hand how many non smokers drive diesel cars that stink and those fumes are bad for you.

Malky

Agree with the ban. But I will hate going to my local and not being able to have a *** with my beer or glass of wine!!

Dont go out much these days anyway, as the pubs have pretty much priced us out, so we tend to have friends round each others houses, and will probably be doing this more often.

Dont smoke in the house, dont smoke in the car, and never smoke with the children around me anywhere. They constantly give me the grief that I used to give my mum, and I have no reply :shock:

Im a funny one me, cos I hate other people smoking around me, cant stand the smell, yet I have the addiction :twisted: and I enjoy my ciggies :twisted:

I voted for the ban and I'm a smoker. I smoke outside my door at home and never smoke in front of non smokers.

Only reason I voted yes was maybe the ban will help some to stop smoking.

Whilst on the subject, found the following on another board Im a member of:

A third of Scottish pubs have reported laying off staff due to the smoking ban, a survey of landlords claims.

With the first anniversary of the ban approaching, the survey suggested that drink sales remained 11% below pre-ban levels and food sales were down 3%.

Many licensees reported a drop in how often people go to the pub, with 56% noting fewer visits by regulars.

About one-third of pub bosses also complained of fewer visits from new customers.

The SLTA sent surveys to all its 1,500 members but only about one-third responded.

Paul Waterson, SLTA chief executive, said the industry had suffered "collateral damage" in a war between the Scottish Executive and the tobacco industry.

"We were never properly and fairly consulted on the ban and our warnings were ignored - now we have to live with the consequences of losing loyal workers and pubs being under threat," he said.

"What really concerned us is that national and local government have been totally unhelpful.

"We were given the regulations on how to set up smoking facilities absurdly late, and now four in five of our members find their local authorities no help at all as they try to create covered outside areas to enable their businesses to survive."

The poll found that 42% of landlords had invested more in outdoor facilities, but 81% said their local council had been unhelpful or a hindrance.

"This whole sorry episode was completely avoidable but the executive were so keen to jump on the Irish bandwagon that they didn't want to listen to any advice," Mr Waterson said.

He said the executive's "deafening silence" over tobacco sales and the number of people quitting smoking indicated that the ban had hit the industry rather than the intended target.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6478369.stm

I havent voted purely because I dont know which way to vote. I am a smoker, but I hate going out for a meal and having people smoking around me. I smoke at home, albeit away from my birds. The problem is, I want to be able to have a ciggie when I am out having a pint!!!

One other thing I want to throw in here qoute..

In the UK, for example, tobacco tax revenue currently stands at £7 billion a year compared with the £1.5 billion it allegedly costs to tackle 'smoking-related' diseases. (Taxation revenue should of course be even higher - over £10 billion - but the Government has cleverly 'lost' £3 billion by over taxing tobacco and therefore encouraging smugglers and cross-Channel shoppers to buy the product abroad.), This was taken from this site http://www.forestonline.org/output/page22.asp

Now the NHS part of that out of the equation, where is all that money going to come from if everyone packs up smoking???

Just thought I would throw that one in too..

Thanks for that Gemmz, that is my biggest bug bear in this whole subject. Im more than happy to follow the ban and I think from results, the majority of smokers do try to keep their habits to themselves. There are the odd selfish ones, but I am not one.

Why does the government not ban the sale?

Why can the herbal fags not taste/smell better?

There is a much bigger factor in all this and we are really only skimming the surface with health issues.

i voted for the ban i used to be a smoker about 15 years ago but never smoked indoors at home or out always smoked outside, i hate going into a pub or for a meal and having to walk through the cloud of smoke.

The simple answer to the government banning the sale of them.. MONEY!!!

Also this would just push the amount of even more people going abroad and bringing them in.. This just cant be policed properly as we already know.

i voted to the ban even thou im a smoker myself but like others have said i too dont smoke in my house nor in my car and i cant stand being in a resturant or somewhere they serve food and someone is sat there puffing away all over the food that your about to eat.

alot of my friends find this quite strange where i dont smoke in my house or sit at the smokers table but i just cant stand the thought of the stale smoke smell when you get up in the morning and how the furniture stinks and all your clothes smell, of course i think of the kids and animals aswell :wink:

i plan to give up before july 1st cos thats when the ban comes into force i think, but i want to give up before my birthday which is in august so really the ban helps me out a bit :D:D

Guest showgirl

Aww good for you Doris, i really hope you succeed...think of the money you'll save..a few shopping trips will be in order then!