Sign in to follow this  
Freddie

temporary love

As a lot of you possibly know I am a nurse who works on an acute stroke unit. Recently on my ward I had a gentleman who is the very proud owner of a beautiful amazon. thankfully his wife lived at home and was able to look after the birdie during his stay although the little birdie Pippa pined for her daddy. What i was thinking about was what if there was no one able to look after this little birdie what would happen. On admission we ask patients if they have any pets at home etc as we are aware this can be a worry for people. Many of my patients end up having quite a long stay in hospital before returning home and of course where possible would like their pet to return with them. are there places that supply this type of care for animals and would anyone on the forum should a parrot need a 'holiday home' consider fostering if of course they live locally enough. or does anyone have any other ideas. I could probably have a birdie for a day or two if someone else would be able to help out. As yet it has not been an issue but it would help my patients not to be worrying about their beloved pets. Any feed back would be welcomed cheers.

yes it must be more of a worry worrying about your pets when your in hospital for some time :(

i would be more than willing to help someone if i could, not just parrots though, cats can obvioulsy be looked after by a neighbour or someone close as cats like their own teritory.. but even chinchillas and rabbits and smaller animals aswell as birds would need to be fostered till the patient is well again..

if i lived close enough to you??? dunno where you are lol

ive not heard of anywhere to board animals while your ill though?

Here's the link to a trust who help and support elderly people, the terminally or very long term ill, or those going into hospital, with their pets.

The Cinnamon Trust

http://beehive.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/default.asp?WCI=SiteHome&ID=6544&PageID=34979

Based in Cornwall with a network of foster carers around the country.

:D

I have and do foster birds on a short/long term basis when there has been a need. Even had the odd furry/reptile from time to time.

When it's a case like that I never charge and give regular photo's and updates of the current antics so the owner can be more at ease and so recover with no additional worries.

Just Maybe a crisis foster register could be set up by the mod's as a topic to cover this. I know Birdline and a few other forums do foster but the procedure takes such a long time. It's not much help in a crisis.

Having said that I also know that in a crisis there are members who do jump in and help by personal experience.

I actually live and work in Exeter in Devon but the same situation would be a problem at any hospital so it may be possible to make hospitals in your own areas aware of a service that could be provided. I do think that on a general basis many more people would offer respite for a dog or cat I think taking on someone elses parrot would probably put off quite a few except of course the birdie lovers amongst us. Although we actually ask if a patient that is admitted has a pet I dont quite know right now what we would do if someone said yes and there is no one to look after it. Many people have little family and they are often far away. I am going to ask at my hospital how I would go about making people aware of all services available for pets i have a feeling it may involve the occupational therapists but I will let you guys know. Any further ideas still gratefully received. I live the idea of the photos Kris that would be very reassuring