Sign in to follow this  
JEP

Perry

We have come to the decision that we have gotta sell perry as he was hanging of the end of marks thumb yesterday{its a mess}.

The thing is he is getting unpredictable and only attacks mark,me and kieron can do pretty much what we want with him,so i dont believe he is attached to female people.

The trouble is i dont know what kind of price to ask for and i dont just want him to end up with people that will not appreciate what they have bought and that smoke.Perry has two cages that will go with him so any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posted ImageThis is not a For Sale ad .... please do not respond to it as such, thanks folks :) (MadMudMob)

I am sorry to hear you have had to reach this sad decision, it can't have been easy for you.

Have you read this excellent topic?

THE MYTH OF THE ONE PERSON PARROT:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/2287-the-myth-of-the-one-person-parrot%c2%a9/

If you still wish to sell ......

To advertise him here you have 2 choices:

join as a Trader for £10 per year which gives you as many ads as you want

or

join as a Chatty for £5 per year which entitles you to 2 free ads per year (but a mod will have to place them for you)

We cant say we havent tried...mark even suggested keeping him and whilst he is out of his cage at night he would go and mess about with his motorbike in the shed but i dont think that is fair on mark...and it wouldnt be fair to keep perry caged.. :cry:

Hi Jep,

Sorry to hear that you need to sell Perry, what sort of parrot is he? Sorry I can't view your photobucket (bloPosted Imagedy IT :roll: ).

Hope that you find him a lovely home!

Regards

Ken

Steph – Took the words right out of my mouth!

How long has he been biting for? I don't really know anything about grey's but I know that a lot of parrots goes through phases... Might be worth to giving it a bit of time... Maybe get Mark to feed him and give him snacks and sing and dance and whatever else but not actually have any physical interaction with Perry (for a while)!

It's a horrible feeling when you decide to re-home/sell your beloved pet... Just need to make sure that you have tried absolutely everything possible... that way if you still feel that the right thing to do is sell Perry then at least you know that you have tried everything and that you are doing the right thing!

Oh, how sad :( At 8 months he's still testing you out. Can you not be persuaded to give it another go?

My Stormy was a hand reared baby, but hand reared does not = no problems. You still have to work through everything. Storm loves me, and tolerates Dan (my son), but it took a lot of work to get her to be this way with him. Who is the main carer and treat giver in your house? if it's not you, then maybe try you being the only person who interacts with him and feeds him for a while (not forever before you panic), that way he has no choice but to get used to you.

If you do decide to sell him then make sure he goes to an experienced home where people know what to expect of greys.

I'm sorry you feel the need to sell your bird but please dont, I had the same thing with my grey when she (dna sexed) turned 7 months, she would attack me out of the blue but i didnt give up, it was hard work and lots of bites and nips later but we do get on now, i dont get to tickle her like i once did but i can move her, and feed her, she sits on my knee, i would try to follow the advice already posted and see what happens, i hope things work out well for you all.

Mark is the only person that feeds him...mark spends the most time with perry whilst he is in his cage....but as soon as he is out he just seems to make a bee line for mark...it wasnt that long ago that perry flew at mark and took a chunk out of the back of his head and that was for being too close to me we think{mark walked past me in the living room when perry was out flying around}

We have perserverd for a few months but to no avail.

If it's a jealousy thing... Maybe try both of you sitting by the cage taking it in turns to fuss Perry... And each other as well :wink:

That way Perry gets to have lots of fuss from both of you but he also gets to see that even though you give Mark fuss, as well, you are not going to forget about him!

Guest deleted

8 months old is still very young for deciding that he will never like Mark birds can quite often change their minds on people they like & dislike.As he is so young he will be probably easier to train & tame down.

Mark will probably have to spend a lot of time with the bird to turn things around, and not hide away in the garage.

mogwai turned on me when he was about 7 months as well. it's becuasse i changed jobs so instead of me being his main carer, alex took over the role. it was horrible i think he thought i'd abandond him but he so settled into his new routine.

so could it be a change of routine that's causing this or do you think it's purely jealousey?

Some greys can be like that and it need not be a sex thing Korky the shop pet (owners live above shop) where I get some of my food from does not particularly like Tommy one of the owners even though he used to do all the feeding, yet is happy when Emilio the other owner gets him out !

sorry to hear about your problem, im having the same problem with barkley, i was a stay at home mum till last week when i started to do a few shifts where i used to work and he has turned on me big time, he makes a bee line for me whenever i walk into a room and bites until i can get him off im finding it really hard at the minute and im finding im staying out of the living room more and more, i know thats probably making things worse but i cant help it, and if i need to be in the living room i will get dave to take barkley upstairs, because im in here now, dave has taken barkley with him while he has a bath. i know exactly how it feels and its horrible, i think hes picking up on how frightened i am at the minute too.

I've been back to a past thread which I remembered, and copied this bit for you. I have heard of others successfully using this method since, so I believe it can work.

(It makes use of the way taking a bird away from it's cage and familiar surroundings helps when training them.)

......"My friend also has other rescue birds. One in particular used to bite her, but not her husband.

This is how she told me she stopped it"...

"When the grey arrived, she made my hands and arms look like they had been in a shredder - she only wanted hubby to go near her.

I had a dining chair in the space outside the cloakroom door.

Made hubby take her and put her on the back of the chair and left her there - with the door shut, for a few minutes.

Then I would go there, greet her with "darling! - step on "

LOADS of gushing talk and praise, took her back into the front room.

Few minutes later, repeated the proceedure. Did this 4 - 5 times in one day.

As from the last of the sessions,( ONE DAY ), she NEVER bit me again.

NO harsh words or any form of punishment - just BUCKETS of praise.

You've seen how we are together - been like that since a few days after finishing the ' bad guy - good guy ' session. -( ONE day ! )"

.......(thanks to parrotlady for this)

Hope this helps. :D

hey, i have had a little bit of experience with aggresive greys, i worked with one that was aggresive towards all women, we and my firend found that keeping her off your shoulder and on yr arm help, as you are above them, and just constant daily contact, little and often. we found that if we spent 10 minutes 2 times a day worked, she gt alot better with my female friend, just keep trying with him!!

Hi, I'm going through the biting stage at the minute I've only had my 2yrs old grey a few days but when i go to stroke him he goes to bite quite hard, he also does it to my son but with my son he shows all his feathers & makes a clucking sound before he bites him. I can't understand because when the previous owner came to deliver him he was fine he sat on me I stroked him and he never bit once, but now after a few days i can't touch him.

Guest showgirl

I think in all honesty that once trust is lost as it appears to be with Perry that it is a long and very difficult road back to any level of normality..he will sense the fact that you are afraid (who wouldnt be a bit afraid of the power of that beak?!) and this will make him bite more..animals/bird are past masters at picking up our emotions/feelings. My biggest worry with Perry is that you sell him, he continues on biting and he spends the rest of his life on the merry go round of different owners/homes..ultimately resulting in him being yet another sad bird kept locked up all the time. Do you know any experienced person that would be prepared to take him on? I think selling him on adtrader or preloved will result in him having a sad life if he goes to the wrong people. :(

I take it Mark is a girl since you say that Perry doesn't appear to like females and only attacks Mark? And that you and Kieron are males?

Our Beryl (now sadly lost), an African Grey, liked myself and my daughter Molly but didn't like my husband Kaz much (maybe she was actually a boy! we hadn't had her sexed). However, my husband was not actually afraid of her and after flying around a bit she would (finally!) go to him and let him take her to her sleeping cage or whatever.

It's the fear that a bird will bite on the part of a human that causes the bird to do so, I'm pretty sure - once Perry senses that Mark is afraid he will feel destabilized and this causes him to attack. Mark needs to manage not to be afraid that Perry will bite. She needs to set things up so that she will not be afraid that Perry could hurt her (?). Perhaps if she begins by offering only her arm, with a thick sweater on, keeping her hand covered with a glove and tucked in, and not approaching close enough with her face that he can reach it, she will be confident that he can't hurt her. Then she can gradually increase the contact, always making sure she emanates calm and confidence that Perry will not hurt her and also giving the message through her manner and language that she does love Perry.

Monica

Im having a similar problem with one of mine at the minute, I nearly gave them up and then when I realised what I was doing i felt sick, theyre my babies and if I love them so much I could try anything.

Please please please be so so sure about selling him before you do, you could regret it forever. I know everything seems so unhappy and out of control but if you give it time and a lot of work and patience things could start getting back on the right road.

However if you feel you havr thought about it enough then good luck to you.