Sign in to follow this  
evie71

boy or girl????

well after much research, I have decided that I am going to change my molly to charlie! the reason being, I don't know if "she" is actually a she! the pet shop owner told me that she was a girl due to the bars under the wings. I have since read and researched that you cannot tell the true sex of a tiel until after the first moult or around 11 months of age, whichever occurs first. I am changing to charlie as it can be a boy or a girls name :wink: also charlie is learning a lot of things that mainly boys pick up quickly such as whistling tunes, trying to talk etc, so im not convinced at the mo as to the sex, maybe after the summer i will know more as charlie is only 11 weeks just now. Please let me know your views cause i am as confused as that poor little birdie :shock:

evie x

i think so too, I was thinking of calling a baby that if i ever had another one but seeing as I aint even got a man I cant see it! lol lol better off with the birdies :lol:

What colour is Charlie?..... With some colours barring is a good indication of a Female under the wing or on the tail......whistling points to a Male!

Good luck

Gary

lol brooke too true!

gary charlie is grey with yellow flecks and a yellow head. There are bars under the wings but after reading up on it every tiel looks like female until after the first moult/maturity and even then you need some sort of light to see the bars? dont know if this is true or not, please correct me if im wrong. Dont know what tune it is yet but its the same one every time and wolf whistles when i leave the room to get me back. lol.

Another way to tell a male is if they do they 'heart wings'. As he/she is a pearl you wont be able to tell until about a year old maybe longer. Over time males lose their pearlings, but females keep them :D