Sign in to follow this  
ady

advise on perch eating parrot

hi

not sure if this is the right place for this post if not sorry :(

anyway

pepe my 11 month old newly owned ;) red bellied macaw

has decided that his perches are more fun and taste better than his toys.

i have brought some spray that is meant to stop him chewing the perch

but it is like putting a cherry on top of a cream cake he loves the stuff

in fact it has made him worse.

i know it is only a little bit of wood and i don't really mind that but is there any harm in him doing this ?? i would prefer it if he didn't so any tips welcomed hehe

thxs

ady

Guest locked out

I have the same problem with my cocatoo. No matter what other goodies I give her to chew/destroy, its her main perch that takes the brunt of it. It must be about 1 cm thick in the centre now, where it was probably about 3 or 4 lol!!!!

Must be something attractive about the type of wood used.

The easy way around this is to find and cut natural wood branches as perches.

This is better for their feet, good for them to chew, and provides nutrients as well as occupation.

Here's a link to find out which woods are safe to use:

SAFE/UNSAFE WOODS, PLANTS, BRANCHES ETC:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/2097-safeunsafe-woods-plants-branches-etc/

Sadly we have tried that, she has a lovely willow branch in there, and we offer her twigs as well, but it seems to be a very hard habit to break!

good question but what is the answer ? or rather what is a Birch ? is it the common white birch or the common silver birch ? ------- as they just give the name Birch I would assume that they are both safe ! ---- why can` anything be simple?

Guest deleted

None of my birds are perch chewers thankfully (unless they are cotton or them mineral ones). It might be a good idea to get some foot toys for your bird to play with. My cags and conure really love the fruity flavoured & coloured wood bits you can get. You chould even chop a safe branch up for him to chew on.

I often see the council chopping the trees down round here, i am thinking of asking them for a few of the branches they cut down - they only put them through the shredder anyway. I just need to get over the embarrassment of asking :oops:

I dont have a bird that chews perches.. YET, but my ow loves to chew bits of wood. I bought a bundle of willow twigs from PAH and she loves them. Also you could try giving your bird kids toy wooden blocks. I get the ones that arent painted.. Again she loves these.

Another wood that you can get from some pet shops that can be used for natural perches is cork branches but one does need to some form of fixings ----- I use the screw/bolts from screwfix

Yes Pixie has left her manzanita perch alone, its just the long perch that came with the cage she adores destroying!!

I think when it finally goes, we wont replace it, as she has another two in there, as well as other stuff.

Guest Jane Doe

The sandy perch swings/perches are made of manzanita wood too. Mine love the swings, expensive but worth it as they are very hard wearing.

Guest Jane Doe

That's a shame as they are good for keeping nails trim, this is what they look like for anyone who doesn't know them.

http://shrunklink.com/?ulw (= 24Parrots.com)

Posted ImageAlways happy to shrink long links (MadMudMob)

Oh yes, she has one of the perches made of the same stuff, and she does actually use that, thank God!! Just anything that moves is what scares her, so we have to be particulary fussy with regards to toys etc.

I think the best value long term is the manzanita, as not only do they clean up good, they really are almost bomb proof.

I think those Parrot Bitters should really be called "Sauce for Woodwork" as Archie just licked it off anything I sprayed it on, including the wet drops on the glass above the window sill.

My neighbours were cutting down a buddleia and after checking it was parrot safe, I took a big branch for the boys to climb up to the high window ledge. Either it's really hard or just not satisfying to chew, but it's about the only wooden thing in the conservatory that Archie has not chewed. It's still in one piece 15 months later (unlike the window sill). Might be worth a try for perches - buddleia grows wild everywhere, particularly on vacant land so is easy to source and find perch thickness branches.

What does buddleia look like Romy? Is it a bush or tree? As you can tell, my hubby is the one with green fingers and plant/tree knowledge, all I know is what a daffodil is lol!! Oh.. and willow and bamboo, but thats about it lol!! :):)

sorry, was in a hurry earlier so should have put a link to the buddleia (or buddleja is the latin is but the J is pronounced I)

http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/plantdetail.aspx?plantid=45267

You'll know it when you see it - also known as butterfly bush. Purple flowers (though comes in other colours in posh gardens) most commonly and grows a lot along railway tracks and out of cracks in buildings. Underrated as it's a bit straggly and so successful at growing in the wild that people think it's a weed. But it grows fast so if you have a large garden it's good for long flowering period, resilience & butterflies. Not to mention parrot perches!

Oh thanks so much for that romy, if daves mum has not got it in her garden, i'll be blown cos she has everything growing there!

Thankyou for posting a link, do appreciate it xx

hi can someone please tell me if conifers trees are safe for parrots :?:

my neighbour has 27 of these and they have grow 10 ft into our garden and was wondering if the branches are safe to use i could do to jobs at once cut back the branches and use for bird cage :wink:

i have tryed looking on the threads for them and cant see if they are safe or not :)