Sign in to follow this  
elle

Sugar cane?

Ive given Pharrell some sugar cane which he is enjoying.

Just have 2 questions: -

1) How often can this be given?

2) How long can i leave the sugar cane in his cage. ie. 1 day and then throw away or can it stay there longer?

Ooo - I know this one! :wink: I bought a pack of sugar cane from the Stafford show. The man on the stall said just to tie it in birdie's home, and it can be left for up to three months before you need to chuck it. Not sure how often they are allowed it but I can imagine if they were interested that a small stick of this would be destroyed within the day.

Louis my grey has one and has so far turned his snooty beak up. I will leave it for another couple of weeks and then let the caiques at it :twisted: .

hi elle, can i ask where you got the sugar cane, i've never heard of anyone giving this to parrots before so i'd be interested to see if my lot like it.

Tak - i'd seen it on 24parrots site, but didnt buy it on there. I got it down my local market at a caribbean fruit and veg stall. I got the guy to chop it up into small pieces and i shared it out between my bird and my mums Timneh. We gave them a piece each about 2 inches long (i didnt give them a whole long piece) and put the rest in the freezer.

Pharrell loved it, hes been digging his beak in and then throwing it around like its a toy aswell. Mind you.................hes not turning his beak up at anything im giving him!!! lol lol lol As a baby he's all up for trying new things and isnt a fussy eater at all. At the moment his beak is smothered in canteloupe melon!!!! :D:D:D

I got some from the Stafford show too, they do sell it on 24parrot.com at a good price.

My CAG was not impressed at all, it's still sitting in her cage untouched! THe tiels had a little nibble, and Jade the quaker was terrified of it! So not a big hit here :o(

if you do get it, get it from a market then you could just ask for a really small piece and it doesnt cost much, just to see if they like it or not.

hi elle, can i ask where you got the sugar cane, i've never heard of anyone giving this to parrots before so i'd be interested to see if my lot like it.

I believe Rob Harvey sels it too..

I get mine from Rob Harvey and Alfie loves it.

It comes packed and you should freeze it. The canes are quite long so i halve them before freezing. Just de frost the night before and put for your parrot.

I only tend to leave mine for two days and then throw but was interested to read that you can leave them longer. :P

Pharrell has completely demolished the piece he had. Im gonna give him another piece at the weekend.

He likes to throw it around aswell!! lol

To my shame I have to admit that I've had some in a freezer since our last palm nut delivery! Never got round to selling it. Since Mr Harvey, indirectly buys his palm nuts from our supplier I assume the sugar cane comes from them as well.

To be perfectly honest it came with the palm nuts, as a new product, and I bunged it in a freezer with the idea of going back to it but never got round to it. I suppose that I thought of it more as an eddible toy than a food.