Sign in to follow this  
leejon321

COCKATOO WANTED

HI TO EVERYONE

MY WIFE HAS GOT HER HEART SET ON A COCKATOO BUT AS I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT THESE BIRDS IM HOPING YOU CAN HELP ME.

I NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE BEST PLACE OR PERSON IS TO GET ONE AND ALSO DOES IT MATTER WHAT AGE THE BIRD IS WHEN YOU GET IT AS I KEEP LOOKING IN LOCAL PAPERS AND SEEING THAM AT ALSORTS OF AGES IE:3 MONTHS TO 6 YEARS.

I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME

MANY THANKS

LEE

Posted Image leejon321 You might want to have a look round the flollowing links to start with.

A variety of topics you might find helpful.

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Taking on a bird such as a Cockatoo is a very big undertaking for a first time bird owner. My advice at this stage is to do a lot of research before puchasing a bird. Have a look at hsi also:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/index.php?topic=13990.0

Guest locked out

Lovely birds but be warned you may have your work cut out!

As long as you can offer commitment it shouldnt be a problem, but you need to be prepared to be living with a bird with many personalities depending on their mood!

Good luck and do as much research as possible. I would probably try a breeder who you can look up and research before committing to ensure the 'toos are reared ready for homing. The ones in the local paper could possible be there because their owners simply cannot cope with them after learning what they are really like.

Lovely birds, but as I say you will have to be prepared for the unknown!

Of course as a first bird you could go for latest addition to the cockatoo branch of the parrot family ------- I refer to the cockateil (`teil) which untill recently was classified within it`s own single species group within the parrot family . They are a lot easier to keep than their larger cousins , and a lot cheaper to buy , their life span is also a lot shorter 15-20 years max. unlke the larger birds which can outlive their owners . They also come in a range of colours including white !

hi leejon321, have you kept parrots before? keeping a cockatoo is like nothing you will have experienced before, it is usually better to get a baby, older cockatoos generally come with problems, thats why you see so many for sale in the free papers, they are not a parrot for the novice keeper, while many are known for being soppy love sponges, adulthood often brings problems, they are more demanding than most parrots, being very inteligent they need to be kept interested with plenty to do (he says with an umbrella too hanging off my head) sorry for going on a bit but mine is 4 years old now and is very easy going for a u2 but she is still very hard work compared to other species of parrots, AL

my tiel is a lovely cuddly wuddly kissy wissy birdie lol they give so much loving! I fell in love with a too as well at the pet shop where i got the tiel so placid and cuddly but at 1200 quid was out of the question lol. hope you find what you are looking for though and your wife is a lucky lady if you go all out for her :wink: oh and welcome lol

I would love a 'too, but after researching decided against it as they seem very hard work and a lot of time and devotion.

They are truly beautiful birds and are so cute, but I have heard them at full volume and it's not nice!

Go out and buy the latest copy of 'Parrot' magazine. There are two articles in there this month about cockatoos. They also suggest looking at the website: http://www.mytoos.com/

This sheds some light on the level of commitment needed when giving a home to a cockatoo, something not to be undertaken lightly. If you have no experience with birds I would not recommend you buying a cockatoo.

forgot to mention the noise, and our charlie wont tolerate children,if she could get out of her cage when my children are around i think she would try to !!!!!!!!!! well it wouldnt be a pretty site. im sorry im not trying to scare you but just warn you what these beautiful birds are capable of, some are extremely volitile.

I have to agree with alan.h

I have 8 Toos and if you are not very sure of what you are doing they can become problematic :(

If you decide to get one I would go for a ducorps they don't bite so hard :lol:

Second all of the above!!!!!! Mtyoos.com is a great site to look through, hear the horror stories and the noise they can make! The reason I say horror stories is that is what they are. But if you are still determined to get a too after all you've red, and seen the worst, then you really and truely know what you will be expecting. I disagree with getting a baby though :? With a baby once you will be lulled into a false sense of security, all sweetness and light, then when the hormones start a few years down the line you will wonder what hit you. I would persoannly suggest a rehome fully mature, coz then what you see is what you get for the rest of it's life. Yes they are feisty, but if you control them right then they are wonderful birds. Just be warned they can turn at the drop of a hat!

I have a LSC Cockatoo rescue, he is the sweetest thing in the world loves to dance and cuddle that is until another bloke comes in the house he then turns into the worlds worse flirt and woe betide me if I get between him and his new love! He would take my arm off and once the other fella has left he's back to loving just me.

I have nicknamed him Flirty Bertie lol.

He is afraid of nothing and no one, having a too is another experience but I love him; you just have to get under their skin a little and understand them after all don't we all love to be understood.

Hi Leejon321

what is said of white cockatoos is very true and hard work the reason sancturies are full of them, why not take a look at the galahs totally different birds and if you like what you see im hand rearing chicks now and your welcolm to take a look obviously no obligation to buy, you dont say what part of the country you are in that may help.

pam

Guest parrotlady

Hi

Can I ask you some questions?

How old are you and your wife?

Do you have children?

If so, how old are they?

If not, do you intend to have any?

Do you both go out to work?

These are all questions that anyone who wants a parrot should consider, but even more so with a too. Everyone so far has mostly put negative responses, and with good reason, as it is very difficult to look after toos successfully, but it's not impossible. So if your wife is really set on one, then she will do what is necessary, or wait until the time comes when she can. By being told of the downsides of toos, she is more likely to attain her dream (as everyone should) and enjoy it, rather than end up bitterly disappointed.

Personally I believe that there are 2 things that toos really cannot stand, and that is being caged, and being alone. We have 6 toos and we have no problems with any of them - those that are cuddly tame will go to anybody, they don't scream, and none has ever bitten. But mine are not in cages, although they are indoors with us, and they have friends of their own kind. Could you provide that environment? Or at the very least could you provide a huge cage that it spends very little time in, and someone always at home? Plus the fact that toos create an amazing amount of feather dust - just try picking up a white too whilst wearing black!!!

The reason I asked about kids is that if you have young ones, or intend to, it will make it much harder to give a too the company it deserves. And they do deserve it - in the wild they are never alone, their mate is always by their side, never goes off to the office for 8 hours or even to Tesco's for an hour! If you can answer all these questions 'correctly' and your wife still wants a too and you are BOTH willing to give the necessary commitment, then I'd say go ahead. And I wish you every enjoyment of your dream come true. :D

I have a lsc cockatoo and certainly wouldn't recommend too's to most people. They can be absolute darlings, cuddly, loving, sweet, gentle, but also noisy, destructive, unpredictable and can be very aggressive. Saying that, we wouldn't change our Charlie for anything, but would have to think long and hard before going out and buying another :roll:

Guest parrotlady

Parrotlady said it all, maybe one more thing from my personal experience if you do decide for one of those biger species of white Toos get a female!!! Males really dont make great pets after they reach maturity

Well, we've got 4 females and 2 males, as far as we know:-

Lesser sulphur crested - 8 years old, def female

Moluccan - 21 years old, def male

Galah - 6 years old, prob female

Umbrella - 6 years old, def female

Umbrella - 2 years old, def male

Ducorps - 4 years old, def female

Sam the Moluccan is very gentle, and I have actually watched him mating with Lola the umbrella (after starting with Pepsi the lesser, who got fed up and walked away!!) and he was never the slightest bit aggressive with either of them. Ever the gentleman!

Just a thought, if your wife has her heart set on a too.. What about a Galah?? Very pretty birds, not quite so demanding as the bigger too's and not quite as noisey.. I say not quite, but when my two decide to go they go for it big style..

I have one that was handreared, doesnt really like me too much, but coming round, the other is a parent reared proven male and as cuddly as anything and he talks the hind leg off a donkey..

As I said just a thought :P

As always parrotlady puts perspective on a subject.

I have 2 Utoo's both re-homes, both male and taken on after a succesion of homes where they could not be coped with.

Cocco is now a sweetheart but still to be watched with care. He loves his fuss and plays with the dog tug o rope. He can bite on the odd occation when he gets over excited. It took 2 years of dedicated rehabilitation to get him here.

Louis came to me at approx 7 years old after 7 homes. His first introduction was to nip the tip of my partners thumb off and he bled all the way home. It will take a long time ( if ever) to rehabilitate him fully.

My point is both off these were older birds with no real history offered. Therfore someone elses problem's

If after all you have read you still want a too, take a baby and grow with it. My only advice would be as with is child. Don't give more to the baby than you can to the adult. A new toy is lots of fun but can be pushed aside later when other things take your interest. I know this may sound very harsh but Too's are very high on the re-home list for this very reason.

Whatever your final choice...enjoy ...love and commit.