Sign in to follow this  
Joliver

2 parrots better than 1 ?

Hi,

(After loosing Charlie), we've been generally discussing the possibility of getting another parrot in a few months time (when we feel the time is right) and have decided it is something we'd like to do again.

During talking about it, the idea of getting two parrots (rather than just one) came up. Mainly because (although they would never be on their own for long periods - I work from home) we like the idea of them having company of their own kind.

I was wondering; does having two parrots make things such as training etc. more difficult? Would the parrot be less inclined to want to learn from his owner if he had a same-species companion, and indeed would the owner be less successful in training if he/she was having to split his time between two birds, rather than one.

Also... although we do not plan to breed, should we have the pair sexed prior to purchase? Do male and female tend to get on better than male and male, or female and female?

If there is any other advice (pros and cons) about owning two birds rather than one, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Lastly, mods; if I have posted this in the wrong section, please feel free to move it.

Many thanks,

John and Tracey.

Guest showgirl

Hi, i think 2 would be better than 1..although in saying that it may be mean double the mess/noise!! Its nice for birds to have company of their own kind and this would be a consideration even if you work from home. What kind of parrot(s) were you thinking of?

Guest showgirl

Awww, lovely..are you going to go for B&G? I'd go for two..that way i think you and they get the best of both worlds..someone like Parrotlady or Jebirds would be the best to advise on having more than one Macaw.

well i have 19 parrots (will be more once my babies arrive in the summer) five of them being blue and golds

only six live in but i think it is much better to have 2 rather than one

all ours have quality time spent with them on a one to one being trained and kissed and cuddled

so i,d say yes 2 is better than one :D

I agree with the above,we have 5 parrots and 2 cockatiels they all get special cuddles. Its inevitable we all have to leave our homes for afew hours each day so having more than 1 bird means that the birds are never acctually left alone as such,they have each other for company.

Guest parrotlady

Yep, i'd go with all the above - I don't like to see 'only' parrots. After all, if I were being kept captive by a family of parrots, I'd hate to be the only human, no matter how well I was treated. If you get them both at the same time you'll have no problems either. That travel cage I was telling you about will easily take 2 big macaws, esp babies - I have transported 2 greenwings to the vets in it. As long as you have an estate, of course!! You could get one of those 'Palace' cages for them.

There you are, we've just spent nigh on 3 grand for you with no problem!!

I cant speak for macaws, never having owned one, but in general I've found having other birds around is good for all of them. Some of mine helped bring others out their shell and now they are as happy as larry!

Go for it! :D

Guest locked out

Definatley, couldnt never have just one!

And I reckon what i have read that macaws seem to thrive better with other birdies for company :)

i've never owned a large macaw, only looked after one for a short while. but the first thing i would consider is space. do you have enough space for 2 birds of this size?

i've got 5 birds, 2 ringnecks, a grey, a senegal and a hahns macaw. of that only one is male and they all get on ok. (except lola when she's in a mood :roll: ). so i don't think the sex of the birds really matters, unless my lot is the exeption that proves the rule.

if you decide on getting 2 macaws, i would get them both as babies and at the same time. that way you don't have the trouble of introducing a second bird later on.

good luck in whatever you decide.

Stephie made a good point to consider, about space.

I know that birds can have a happy home with nice cages toys food etc, but it is something I think is quite important, room to have at least a bit of a fly round.

And if you were thinking of hopefully having them live together, that is nice, but if things go wrong and they don't get on, do you have space for two large cages.

It is a bit of a lottery as to whether two birds will get on.

And just because they do in the beginning doesn't mean to say the will always be friends.

I have just seen this new post

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/10778-will-they-ever-make-friends/

Sorry don't want to be totally negative, but you did ask :)

Good luck and I hope that which ever two you decide on, you will have long and happy life together.

And would you consider older rescue re home birds?

They don't always come with problems, and often older birds, have their nature/characters there for you to see. Just something to condider

If you are worried about training you could always make sure they have seperate training sessions in a different room? I am sure birds are happier having a companion to be with and it would give you some comfort if you have to leave them for any reason during the day. You will know they have someone else to talk to and that they are not lonely (they would be planning all sorts of mischief for your return! :D ).

Having two young birds would increase the likelihood of them getting on together. You sometimes see as well people offering two birds for sale that have become friends and they don't wish to split up - this could be an option (though you might want to ask lots of questions as to why they are being rehomed!).

Good luck with what you decide to do :D .