Jump to content

Joliver

Bounced Members
  • Content Count

    24
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Joliver

  • Rank
    Newbie

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  1. Thanks all. We've just been reading the 'Dani and Kev' post that Southmed suggested, and were wondering of this can happen (generally speaking) with Macaws too? We may be trying for a baby next year and would hate to have to re-home our new addition in 18 months time if he/she didn’t take well to another new addition (a baby!). I know and expect there could well be some jealousy but we couldn’t possibly risk the bird being so unpredictable as to suddenly take flight and viciously attack our child. Have there been any posts referring to Macaws behaving this way?
  2. Hi there, Good to hear from you all again, and thanks as always for your fast and honest replies. After reading your posts we have come to the decision to pass on the Umbrella Cockatoo this time. The main reason being that, although (as we have had a big ‘demanding’ bird in the past), we feel that taking on a large bird that may become completely demanding in a detrimental way is not something we are ready for, or willing to risk. The thought of having to give him / her up because we didn’t ‘succeed’ would be heart-breaking. That said, we are in no way put off by the idea of having another addition, and although Macaws can be hard work too, given our previous experience with these birds we feel we may be better ‘sticking with what we know’. Greenwingmax… we see you are local and also keep Macaws. Could you recommend a good, solid breeder we could perhaps contact and discuss things with? We are in no means in a rush to find a bird, and are happy to wait until we feel we have found the one that’s right for us… and (just as importantly) the bird. Obviously, if anyone else can lend some useful advise within our area (Manchester . Oldham), that would be great. Thanks again, John and Tracey.
  3. Hi there, You may remember us from some months ago (John and Tracey). We posted at some length about our poorly Macaw, Charlie, who we initially thought may have Psittacosis. As some of you may remember (even with all the help and support we received here [Parrot Lady especially]), Charlie didn’t make it. Its been almost 6 months now since Charlie died, and we’ve decided that now may be a good time for us to consider getting another bird (we never got rid of Charlie’s cage and toys etc.) So… the reason for our post is this… we’ve been in our local pet store and have spotted a very friendly, very affectionate and totally loveable (!!) 5-year-old Umbrella Cockatoo called Snowy. I’ve done some reading up on Umbrellas and (from my understanding) they are essentially similar to Macaws in regards to their larger size, need for space and need for attention / amusement – they can also be rather noisy. We’re basically wondering if there is anything else we should know about these birds, and also… whether we should be cautious about buying a bird of this age (5), although as we’ve said he appears to have a lovely temperament. With him being 5 years old, do we have to beware of the old saying ‘you cant teach an old dog new tricks’? Or is 5 still reasonably young in terms of training parrots. Many thanks in advance, and Hello to all who remember us John and Tracey
  4. Hi, I'm not an expert so wont take up much of your time. Just wanted to say you couldnt be in a better place for advice than here and I hope everything turns out well for you and Rot. I know just what you are going through and how worrying it is. We're thinking of you.
  5. The messiest and noisiest of all; Macaws! But we know what to expect and are fine with that.
  6. Hi, (After loosing Charlie), we've been generally discussing the possibility of getting another parrot in a few months time (when we feel the time is right) and have decided it is something we'd like to do again. During talking about it, the idea of getting two parrots (rather than just one) came up. Mainly because (although they would never be on their own for long periods - I work from home) we like the idea of them having company of their own kind. I was wondering; does having two parrots make things such as training etc. more difficult? Would the parrot be less inclined to want to learn from his owner if he had a same-species companion, and indeed would the owner be less successful in training if he/she was having to split his time between two birds, rather than one. Also... although we do not plan to breed, should we have the pair sexed prior to purchase? Do male and female tend to get on better than male and male, or female and female? If there is any other advice (pros and cons) about owning two birds rather than one, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Lastly, mods; if I have posted this in the wrong section, please feel free to move it. Many thanks, John and Tracey.
  7. I know first hand what you are going through and I also read your kind words on my post regarding Charlie. Our thoughts are with you x
  8. Hi Gary, Having just lost our Charlie (Macaw), we know first hand how it feels. Our thoughts are with you, as are everyone elses in this forum, I'm sure. John and Tracey (RIP Charlie).
  9. Thank you for all your kind words of support. We’ve decided against Charlie having a post-mortem, as to us, knowing why it happened isn’t going to change to fact that Charlie is gone. The vet has also said that with the antibiotics Charlie had been given, there’s isn’t much of a chance that the infection will still be there and that it was the anaemia that was more than likely the fatal factor. However, the psittacosis tests should be back any day. We’ll be keeping Charlie’s cage and toys in storage for a while as we’ve not ruled out the chance of owning another bird at some point, however we feel it’s a decision best made in the future, once we’ve got over loosing Charlie. Charlie will be cremated early next week at which point we'll be bringing him home. He'll be sorely missed.
  10. Hi, Its with great sorrow that I tell you all that Charlie passed away this morning. We're both devestated and I'm affraid there's not really much we feel like writing at this time, other than to say thanks you so much for all your incredible support over the last few days. Thank you all, so much.
  11. Hi, Unfortunately in the last couple of hours Charlie has taken a turn for the worst and is pretty much back on the brink. Apparently he pulled his catheter out during the night, which I doubt has helped. They managed to get the catheter back in this morning and took some blood tests to analyse if the transfusion was working, and whilst it showed the red-blood cells are beginning to regenerate, the vet was of the opinion he would have to hold on for another couple of days before enough had regenerated to actually bring him out of the woods, so to speak. We've just authorised the vet to go ahead with another fresh transfusion of blood in the hope that it will have a similar effect to the last one and give him the strength to get through the next 48 hours. I'm sorry we don't have any better news, but we'll keep you posted.
  12. I saw Charlie this afternoon and I'm glad to say he was looking much better than I was expecting. The vet brought him in wrapped in a towel, and he practically jumped out of it when he saw me. He then climbed right up on to my hand and proceed to climb up on to my shoulder, where he happily stayed for a few minutes. I tried to feed him some monkey nuts I’d taken along as a surprise, but he wasn’t interested in those. He's obviously still very weak and unwell, but I'm happy that he's back on his feet at least! The catheter is still in his wing; he has his last transfusion tonight. We'll be going back to visit him tomorrow.
  13. I've just spoke to the vet and Charlie has made a slight improvement; he now has his head up and his eyes open.. looking around. He's due his last lot of blood this evening and the vet has said it would be fine for me to make a quick 10 minute visit, so I'm going to see him at 4 o'clock. The vet also said not to get too excited as there's still some way to go, but at least he's showing signs of improvement!
  14. I'm in two minds. I could cope with it, and would love to see him (however unwell), however he has a catheter inserted under his wing and I'd hate for him to see me, have a sudden surge of energy, pull it out and cause himself more stress and discomfort. I'm due to call the vets at 1 o'clock for an update, so I'll ask the vet for an opinion then. Thanks for the thoughts.
  15. Its something I've considered. If he gets through tonight I'm thinking about dropping in tomorrow as he should be more alert then.
×
×
  • Create New...